Lost internet connection with my router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discusman

In Runtime
I have three computers connected together to have access the internet using a DI-604 Ethernet BroadBand Router. I would loss internet connection once every 2 days, sometimes even worse. I have to unplug the power cord of the earthlink cable box and replug in the power cord again in order to regain the connection.

Here is my little home network connection to the internet cloud.

1. Earth Link Cable Box connects to outside the cable line
2. DI-604 Ethernet BroadBand Router connects the earth link cable box and has three lines to my three computers.

Could the DI-604 router is causing this problem? I have even tried to host my web server, and I would loss connection within 5 hours after I turned my web server ON.

Any clue? Thanks.

How long has this been going on? It can be Earthlink itself. I have Adelphia and I always get connection loss that only last 10-15 min. If this has been going on for a long time, you got something internally going haywire. If this is a recent thing, it's Earthlink.

anarchy said:
How long has this been going on? It can be Earthlink itself. I have Adelphia and I always get connection loss that only last 10-15 min. If this has been going on for a long time, you got something internally going haywire. If this is a recent thing, it's Earthlink.

The earthlink cable box is about 3 months old and the problem is getting worse as I start surfing the internet more often. The web server makes matter worse since the internet connection loss every couple of hours if I am hosting a website.

So what do you guys want me to do? replace the earthlink cable box or replace the DI-604 router? Is any settings in the router that I am not aware of?

Well, if you want an easy answer to your question.....test the hardware.
Take the 604 out of the picture. Plug on of the PCs directly into the internet and test browsing around maybe startup a few services and see if the internet connection goes down. You'll know where the problem is either way. BTW, is this a dark blue 604 or the newer model 604? Does it have silver on top with the name "D-Link" in big letters embedded into the piece?

-Mike

mikesgroovin said:
Well, if you want an easy answer to your question.....test the hardware.
Take the 604 out of the picture. Plug on of the PCs directly into the internet and test browsing around maybe startup a few services and see if the internet connection goes down. You'll know where the problem is either way. BTW, is this a dark blue 604 or the newer model 604? Does it have silver on top with the name "D-Link" in big letters embedded into the piece?

-Mike

Umm...
I am using the DI-604 Ethernet Broadband Router and it has the silver on top. However, I have another DI-604 which it doesn't say "Ethernet BroadBand Router" on the top and it is more simple one compare to the one I'm using right now.

Maybe I should switch the router see what will happen.

One more thing I forgot to mention in my previous posts.

All the lits and lights are seems to be fine on the earthlink cable box while I have no internet connection.

Does this mean the router is causing the problem? if so, why I have to unplug and replug-in the power cord of the earthlink cable box in order to regain internet connection?

To do this every couple of days is normal. Yes, companies DO learn frequency of use and disbale users in order to get more bandwidth for other users.....they DO this! But in order to see what is realy happenning, disconnect the router completely as mentioned before and see if the problem persists with the cable modem into one PC.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom