Loss of network performance after upgrade

diogotecnico

Beta member
Hi guys, I'd like some help from you guys. I work with you here in my city, and as it is inland generally companies do not spend with equipment the way they should. In one of these companies that has around 10 terminals, the server was a core "i5 1th gen" with a robust motherboard for the time that I can not remember now from the model. As this improvised server was already at the end of the day and the company needing improvements but not able to spend much (almost nothing), I set up a server with a ryzen 1600, ab350 gaming 3 (already comes with gigabit network), 8gb ram.

In processing this ryzen is infinitely superior to the anti-i5, and the motherboard has good network capabilities, nothing exceptional but at least old-board level. But anyway. The problem that is happening is as follows: Terminals are having point crashes when pulling files from the server. As a company that works hard with Corel and pulls files from the server all the time, they sometimes try to open a mapped folder on the network and stay there carrying the folder and do not leave the place for several minutes, delaying the work of the staff.

* The operating system of all terminals are windows 7;
* The operating system of the old server was windows 7, on the new server with ryzen I installed windows 10 (I did not install windows server because we used an automation system from here that does not look good on the server);
* Even the onboard network being gigabit, I installed a pci-ex gigabit network card and did a test on the network but the crashes continued (I do not know if this board is the best, it was stopped at my house);

Guys, what could be happening? I wanted this upgrade to have at least maintained the same network performance I had before and not gotten worse. Does windows 10 as a server not communicate so well with win7 terminals to upload files all the time? Is there anything on windows that I can adjust to improve network performance or something?

Thank you in advance for your personal help. This forum has already saved me a trillion times. The text got a little long but I think it was easy to understand.

How many computers are connecting to the Win10 "server"? Consumer grade OS limits you to 10 connections as far as file sharing and the such goes... There are registry keys in Win7 that you could edit to get rid of this limitation, but I don't think that's possible in Win10.

Even if you have one user on the network uploading and downloading files, if they open 10 different connections, then the "server" Win10 OS is tapped out, and all other clients will fail to connect, or could lose connection.

You would be best off using an actual server OS.

Tips to fix-

Check the hardware. When you're beginning the troubleshooting process, check all your hardware to make sure it's connected properly, turned on, and working.
Use ipconfig.
Use ping and tracert.
Perform a DNS check.
Contact the ISP.
Check on virus and malware protection.
Review database logs.

Regards,
Rachel Gomez

Back
Top Bottom