Losing wireless signal even if router is in the same room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mestizo122

Baseband Member
I have set up a wireless network in my house and I have had some problems with it.

Every once in a while our computers will start to time out. This could happen to one computers while the others will still continue to work. I could be in the same room, and I would still have a hard time going to any website. The computer still shows that I am connected to the router, but cannot connect to the internet nor can I connect to the router set up page. I have to use the "repair" function that is built into Windows to get back on the internet, most of the time this works, other times it pushes me onto my neighbors connection that is not secure.

This happens to all the computers. What even bothers us more is that sometimes the webpages will not load completely. It will load parts of the site, but majority of it will be blank.

I have ran a line quaility test from dslreports, and it came back fine. I have ran a line speed test which came back with the correct speeds.

All computers are running Windows XP
Router - D-Link 524 Wireless G
WPA enabled
1 Laptop with a Broadcomm card (internal) XP Pro
2 Laptop with an Atheros Chipset Wireless card (internal) XP Home
1 Desktop with a Microsoft M - 740 (internal) XP Pro
1 Desktop with a Linksys (internal) XP Home
1 Desktop hard wired. XP Pro

FYI - My laptop can hold my neighbor's signal anywhere in the house, and occasionally I use it without noticing. I only notice when I attempt to get in the configuration page

You can always set your connection priority so it connects to your network first, instead of just randomly hoping on your neighbors.

NetAdmin71 said:
You can always set your connection priority so it connects to your network first, instead of just randomly hoping on your neighbors.

I do connect to my network first. But Either my signal will drop, or it will start to time out and when I repair it, it jumps to my neighbor's.

Sorry for the bump, but teh problem is persisting and has gotten weirder.

The desktop with the MN-740 is not able to connect to the router. Most of the time it will not see the router or better yet, it will see the router with a very strong signal, then when it attempts to connect it will default to another network. I have to wonder why, because sitting at the computer I can see the router. It is almost a straight shot to the router. And the network that it defaults to has a very low signal, and comes from one house over (not sure what way).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom