Losing wireless connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

mx416

Baseband Member
My router is a Linksys WRT54GX4, I'm using a Linksys pci card in my computer.

I keep losing my wireless connection, the lights on the modem say that it is still working and if I go to the wireless connection thing from the taskbar and try to refresh the list of available networks, It says that there is none, but the wireless light is still on the router.

If I restart my computer and leave the modem and router alone I can get the wireless connection back, and/or I reset the modem and router, I can refresh the list and get the connection back without restarting my computer.

I have full signal strength also, so that doesn't appear to be the issue. I've hit the reset switch on the router itself and gone in and reset settings through the ip address of the router, it has the latest filmware on it also.

I'm thinking at this point it may be something with my computer, but I have no idea what could be wrong.

Any suggestions?

Since you're using a wireless connection, you're often proned to the following, which can cause an interference in wireless strength and connectivity:

1. baby monitors
  2. microwave ovens
  3. cordless phones (especially newer ones)
  4. concrete walls
  5. ceramic tiles
  6. thick walls
  7. your neighbor's wireless
    [/list=1]

Perhaps ways to remedy the problem:
    1. Try to change the channel of your WiFi. Channel up and down until you've found one that will keep up your internet connectivity.
    2. Check that none of the interferences above conflict with your WiFi signal.
    3. Also, check to see if your software is fully up-to-date. Go to the manufacturer's website and downloaded the latest software/drivers for your product. If you bought the product a while ago, you may NOT have the most up-to-date version at hand. Companies often tend to release many driver releases after they've marketed a product.
      [/list=1]

M4A1 said:
Since you're using a wireless connection, you're often proned to the following, which can cause an interference in wireless strength and connectivity:

[*]cordless phones (especially newer ones)

2.4 Ghz Cordless Phones (the cheaper ones) are a pain in the :eek: when it comes to interfereing with wireless. I used to have a 900Mhz phone, wireless didn't interfere. I got a 2.4 Ghz phone, wireless hated it. Then i took it back for a 5.8 Ghz, no wireless problems.

talldude123 said:
2.4 Ghz Cordless Phones (the cheaper ones) are a pain in the :eek: when it comes to interfereing with wireless. I used to have a 900Mhz phone, wireless didn't interfere. I got a 2.4 Ghz phone, wireless hated it. Then i took it back for a 5.8 Ghz, no wireless problems.

You're exactly right: the lower 900mhz phones do not interrupt your WiFi, and neither do the 5.8Ghz phones.

The ones that will give you the MOST problems are the phones that run on 2.4Ghz.

So, if you've got a person in the house who loves using the 2.4Gbz phone when you're on the internet, then suddenly you have no connection, you know who and what is causing the problem :)

well, i checked and the phones are all 5.8ghz phones, I have wep disabled, my computer is one floor below the router, and I'm getting full signal with that, It hasn't done this in 2 days now, and yet other days, it happens 4 times in a day.

I've been running a sygate firewall for quite a while now and this problem seems to have shown up afterwards, so it doesn't appear to be the firewall, I can't find anything in the logs about it blocking the internet signal.

On changing the wireless channel, it is set on auto right now, if I change the channel, will my computer automatically find the correct one or are there settings in my computer I need to change? Are there certain channels that are better than others (higher verses lower channels?)

thanks for all the suggestions so far guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom