Losing DNS IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustinl1

Solid State Member
I have 2 laptops connected on a home network, both are configured the same, i.e. on the same workgroup and with Windows XP. They are both setup with dynamic addressing on both the IP and the DNS settings. However one of the laptops seems to randomly lose it's DNS settings and ends up grabbing a 192... address. This always happens on the same laptop, the other laptop is fine. I tried flushing the DNS entries to see if it would grab the correct DNS address, but it never would. As a temp fix to the issue I went ahead and statically assigned the correct DNS entries to the bad laptop. However I would like to know why this keeps happening on this laptop and not the other. Any help would be appreciated.

It's not necissarily bad, you can use ur router as dns. if you dont want to just leave it static. :)

Mostly I am just curious as to what might be causing this? I am not losing network connection on the machine, I know this because I was connected to the machine by Go to My PC when I saw this happen. The loss of DNS obviously prevents him from getting Internet access.

Im not sure why they pick up different IP's for DNS but it shouldnt effect web surfing. All of my computers use my router as DNS and I can connect through all of em

They are one is the same. Your router is getting the same DNS servers that would you get if you were connected using the ISP's DNS servers. The router is handling the DNS transactions as opposed to your computer handling them.

Double check that your router is not overriding your ISP's DNS settings. (There should a place you can define your own primary and secondary DNS servers.

You could also looking into purposely overriding those. On my router at home I have separate DNS servers than those my ISP gives me. I don't remember my inintial reasoning behind that, but it has worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom