Losing Connection While Gaming/YouTube

Baker

Solid State Member
Hey guys,

So I've been having this issue with my internet for the past 2 years. My internet connection randomly "gives up" after about 5 minutes of running a multiplayer game, or loading and playing YouTube videos.

This happens in every multiplayer game, so I know there isn't just something wrong with the game. I have to disable and enable my wifi receiver in my laptop to get it finally working again.

I am almost certain it's not my ISP, because for the majority of this issue, I had Knology (ISP), but a couple of weeks ago, I got Brighthouse and have faster internet.

So my modem is obviously new, so that cancels that out I think. The only unchanging factors are my laptop, and my Linksys router (Wireless-G; 2.4 GHz; 54 Mbps, Model: WRT54G).

I don't know much about my wireless receiver in my laptop, but in my device manager, under 'Network Adapters', I have two things:

Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN (Says 'Device is working properly')
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (Says 'Device is working properly')

Can someone please guide me through figuring out the root of the problem?

If you need any more information, please just say so.

Thanks!

Hook your laptop up to the Linksys router with a CAT5 cable and try playing the games/youtube to see if it continues to happen. Make sure to DISABLE the wifi adapter though, I believe wireless will take priority.

Hook your laptop up to the Linksys router with a CAT5 cable and try playing the games/youtube to see if it continues to happen. Make sure to DISABLE the wifi adapter though, I believe wireless will take priority.

I've looked everywhere for a CAT5 cable. The only one I have is the one that is already in use by my modem. Is CAT5 the only type I can use? Or is there another way to do this?

Is it worth going out and buying a CAT5 solely for the purpose of testing this? (I'll buy one if I have to, really.)

Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN (Says 'Device is working properly')
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (Says 'Device is working properly')

The Intel is going to be the wireless, the Realtek is a GBE (GigaBit Ethernet) controller which is for the physical ethernet port on the latop.

PERSONALLY, I REALLY can't stand wireless. The ONLY thing that I use wireless for is my or my wife's laptops doing simple web surfing, or our phones connected to Wifi when at home. Aside from that, I wire EVERYTHING. In the past, I have experienced ALL SORTS of strange issues with wireless, and I generally attribute it to something environmental.

My recommendation is to buy yourself an Ethernet cable so that you can connect your laptop directly to the router. Then disable the wireless so that you are using only the wired connection and see if the issue goes away.

As for what could be causing the issue........
Have you updated the Intel wireless drivers for the laptop?
What firmware version is on the WRT54G, and what is the current stable version?
What is the environment like? (apartment building, duplex, single family home)
How many wireless devices are on YOUR network?
How many wireless networks do you see if you scan for available networks?
Where is the modem located in relation to where your laptop gets used?
Are there any other devices operating at 2.4 Ghz in the area, such as microwave ovens, cordless telephones, baby monitors, etc. etc.

That is why I prefer wired connections. For 1, they are MUCH faster for LAN traffic, for example, I have 4 TB of hard drive space on my LAN which I use to store my photos, music & movies, and access that from any computer connected to the network. Transfering files is much MUCH faster with a wired connection. This will do nothing for your internet speeds, as most connections are typically less than 20 megs.

Hello,

In addition...
Might be worth to get a modern and sophisticated router for heavy gaming and video streaming. I'd recommend Dual Band N Router. Having a higher bandwidth is also very important.
The only unchanging factors are my laptop, and my Linksys router (Wireless-G; 2.4 GHz; 54 Mbps, Model: WRT54G).
We have a few wireless devices at home, I watch Netflix movies all the time, and 2 heavy gamers at my home, the Netgear Dual band router is such a treat for all of us.

Also, please consider Cat5e or Cat6 network cables.
I've looked everywhere for a CAT5 cable.
Hope this helps...

Back
Top Bottom