loosing wireless router connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
i have a cable internet and WGT624 netgear router
its been set up for about a year now and i never had a problem like this.
its set up on the second floor in my room and the laptop is on the first.
my previous roommate had his laptop in same spot and nevre complained about any issues with connection
my dad has an IBM laptop set up in same spot downstairs right now

and every week or two the connection is lost.
the signal strength is around 85% mostly
sometimes when i refresh the list it might go from almost 100 to completely disappearing from the networks graph like its out of range or somethin
he does have a built in wireless with radio feature.
i mean it works and then stops and works again in a week
i dont change any settings on router at all and im sure he doesnt either

im really confused as why can it be happening so randomly.

no evreything is same well they do have 2 cordless phones one is i belive 800 hz and other is 2.4 mhz

it says it cannot associate with the router i think

If you have access to one, I would try using an external (pcmcia or usb) wireless network card to see if the connection improves.

Internal wireless cards are dependent on the antenna built into the computer. Sometimes the connection can easily break.

Here are a couple of tips on improving wireless performance.
10 tips for improving your wireless network

and also we have unsecured networks i assume from our neighbours and they have no problem connecting to those.

Indeed...why can we connect to our neighbor's unsecured, and keep losing the connection to the unsecured?

Since you've mentioned microwaves and portable phones, would cell phones (even a text message) have anything to do with it?

Z

I don't think microwaves, cell phones, etc have ANY influence on Wireless networks...you talk about all this interference junk, but I always take my laptop in to the kitchen and cook stuff in the microwave...browsing the (working) Internet while it's on. I too have a WGT624v3 router. I've had a disconnect problem once before, but I went into router config and disabled 108mbps mode (only works with Netgear 108mbps-compatible cards which I don't have) and changed the WiFi channel. If your neighbors are using a certain channel, set your router to a different one, see if that fixes it. WGT624v3's access panel is NETGEAR Support Home Page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom