Looking for a network profile manager that allows for program start/stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter.Cort

TF's First Dry Ice User!
So at work we have wifi and ethernet, and the wifi is open to anyone, but it's behind a firewall, so any of our sales people who are trying to get access into the intranet have to use vpn tunneling to do it. We've made the switch so all the users are on laptops and they move around so they like the option of using wifi, but when they go back to their desk and connect to the ethernet they don't turn off the vpn tunneling and it can cause some conflicts. We need a program that will turn on the tunneling program for windows and mac's when the laptop is on wifi, and then turn it off when it's on ethernet. If one program will do it for both that'd be super, otherwise 2 separate programs is fine. paid / open source it doesn't matter. thanks!

I found a pretty good one for pc, but i'm still looking for other options as well as a mac option.

Could you do this with a GPO? We have a similar situation at our company, people using wifi at home come into the office without doing a log off or restart. When they dock their PC it doesn't actually refresh their network so it doesn't get an internal IP on our network - then they can't actually connect to internet or intranet.

We have a GPO that actually solves this. Not sure if you guys are even using AD but this might be an option for you. Ipsec would also do this in AD.

As for programs i don't know of one that would do that - i'll do a little research on my end.

Unfortunately we need a bit more then what a gpo can do. We need to run the tunneling program when the wifi kicks in and then stop when they connect to the Ethernet. I found a good program for windows I forget what it's called but it auto detects a network change the profile changes and it will run a script on start / stop. Finding one for Mac has been the major hassle..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom