Looking for a good wireless router. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarplyrstevo

In Runtime
My old wireless G D-Link router went out on me after 3 or 4 years and now I am looking to upgrade. From what I have been looking at, wireless N is the new faster technology. Are there any recommendations that you guys have for me? I wont be using this for gaming, but I will be streaming video files over the wireless connection so I can watch movies from my computer on my TV in the other room. I have been looking into this one lately:

Newegg.com - D-Link DGL-4500 IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11a/b/g, IEEE802.11n Draft Xtreme N Gaming Router - Wireless Routers

I know it says its a wireless router but it looks like a good one. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you

Edit: If I do get a wireless N router, that means I have to upgrade the wireless card in the laptop and my sisters desktop computer too? Right now the wireless adaptor in the laptop and my sisters desktop is a wireless g. Also, will the speeds on my computer (wired connection) be different if I get wireless G or N or is that only for the wireless connections? I am running a DSL connection at 6mbps

The wireless n router should be backwards compatible with 802.11 g devices.
Wreless G or N has nothing to do with your wired connection.

With 802.11 g cards you won't be able to get higher than 54 Mbps. So to use the new N capabilities, yeah you'll need to upgrade your card. I haven't looked into N routers yet, are their speeds quite a bit higher?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom