Looking to expand my home network and backup solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

KFromAccounting

Solid State Member
I am looking for a way to expand my home network, keep it secure, and have an automated backup.

We run two home-based businesses.

I'm not sure if I should setup a server, get a network storage device, or just an external drive for both work computers. I would like the most bang for my buck, but am willing to pay for something that is effective.

My current setup is using:
a Linksys wrt54g for my router/switch,
and an acomdata external hard drive to backup my inspiron.

I use a Dell inspiron 1720 for work (Vista)
My spouse runs a Dell Latitude D610 (XP) for her company (they are unrelated and do not share files)
We have an HP Pavilion a1340n that the kids use for their homework.

I also have a spare:
linksys router
2 older pc's
1 old toshiba satellite

We want to upgrade the latitude, and are still deciding between a PC and a laptop.

(The system should allow for the addition or 1-2 machines.

Thanks for any suggestions!

I would personally suggest a External for each system. The reason is that if you got a NAS each system would see the other's backup and there is a potential for corruption. Could resore the wrong backup to the wrong machine. With a dedicated external for each system there is no error.

A good router will have at least 4 ports on it to allow for expansion. If you use wireless you can connect as many PC's as you want as long as you have the info.

A server could be useful but as you said you dont share info between the PC's. So a server wouldnt really serve much purpose. If the PC's shared info that would be a different story.

I agree with the external HD solution. Norton Ghost can be set up to automatically do backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom