Looking for best wireless router

Status
Not open for further replies.

deimos1090

Solid State Member
For a while now I have been looking for a replacement router for my Belkin F5D6231-4 4-Port Wireless G Router. Recently I switched service providers, and without a router hooked up to my network I was able to recieve around a 7500 KbPS throughput using http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ speed tests. After adding the Belkin router to my network my throughput dropped to about 4500KbPS.

My question to all is: What is the best wireless router available that offers the maximum amount of throughput? Or the best several?

I have been researching for many days now, but can not come up with concrete evidence that shows who has superior technology, though I believe I have limited me choices down to either a D-Link or a Buffalo Tech.

Please recommend me the best equipment for my issue.

Thank you all.

-deimos1090

Alot of routers are limited on the throughput. You could get 10 meg or so ideally on a cisco router. Take a look at any intergrated service routers, the cheapest being the 870

Whoa, cheapest I could find was $390. It looks exactly like what I need though... Bummer. Does anyone know of a more cost efficient router or different older model of cisco thats not so costly?

Awesome info though. Thanks.

One thing to keep in the forefront is common technologies. If you purchase a Linksys Wireless Router, then purchase a Linksys wireless card along with it. Wireless router/Wireless Card packages are great as well.

I have never had any problems with Linksys products. They would be my recommendation for you. Cisco owns Linksys, however they didn't send a bunch of "Cisco shirts" over to the Linksys HQ to replace their assembling team once they purchased the company. They however do share technologies, so if you are going to trust Cisco, you can trust Linksys as well.

Just make sure to sitck with 1 brand when shopping for the Wireless Router as well as the Wireless Card. If they aren't packaged together, make sure they were released around the same range of time....within 3 months of each other.

mikesgroovin said:

I have never had any problems with Linksys products. They would be my recommendation for you. Cisco owns Linksys, however they didn't send a bunch of "Cisco shirts" over to the Linksys HQ to replace their assembling team once they purchased the company. They however do share technologies, so if you are going to trust Cisco, you can trust Linksys as well.

I know you have alot more experince than me, and a much higher education, and are much smarter in the network field overall but...

Linksys and Cisco don't seem to share that much technolagy. The hardware is pretty different, as well as the operating systems are completly different.

Also modern linksys routers have not been all that high quality once they switched their operating system to VMware. However I would recomend the WRT54GL as it still runs linux.

And their are virtually no compatability issues with different vendor hardware. I have never encountered it and i use ALOT of wireless equipment.

Sure, all of the companies must follow the IEEE standards when developing these devices. However, this is just the bottom of the bucket. We are always seeing more and more extention technologies that seem to interoperate with different brands, but work 5 to 10 times more efficient with the same brands. If you want to get the best range, signal strength and signal reliability, I would most certainly recommend the same brands.

As for Cisco and Linksys, what I meant in my post was that they "share" technology, they don't intertwine these technologies. Bascially, Linksys's end of the deal was that they had open doors with Cisco's market strategies, development basics, technical research and so on. Both teams share their technologies. However, they never wanted to overlap each others business all too much. That's why Cisco's focus is in the small to large business world and Linksys drives to the smaller businesses and homes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom