LOOKING for a awesome VPN/Firewall Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siten0308

Solid State Member
Hello,

First time posting here, i am looking for a nice, good price, awesome spec VPN/Firewall router for my project I am making, however I am wondering if anyone knows the best one out there like a linksys or a cisco router?

Thanks

Hello

Hey, thanks for the input, but what VPN/FIREWALL router you recommend lets say for a small business with atleast 50 users? need any more info. just ask, i just want your advice or input, also why atleast the specs if you can provide or such.

If you want me to pick one out for you, I'll be glad too, but I'll need to know-
1)How much are you willing to spend?
2)Do you need wireless functionality?
3)Do you need web filtering?
4)How secure do you need to be?(what type of asset are you protecting)
5)What type of internet provider are you using?
6)How many people will VPN into your network?

hello

Ok i am willing to spend lets say 100-200 dollars,
probably for the VPN users, lets say 15+ if possible
No i dont want wireless
Web filtering... if it has that capability, sure
It will need to be really secure, cuz it needs to protect of course, the workstations, filer server and email server. a little small network for say.
I will be using a T1 line, (1.5).

Thanks for your help LAW

"I will be using a T1 line, (1.5)."
Let me ask if your ISP will provde you with the CSU/DSU modem and if they are willing to provide you with a T1 router (perhap a free one).

Most ISP that offer T1 leased line will provide you with the line services, the CSU/DSU modem for clocking. You need the DSU (data service unit). It works something like a modem to convert the packet network signals to and from the TDM format used on the T1 line, so you can use a regular IP router.

Ask the ISP first, make sure they provide the equipment. It needs to be a CSU/DSU.

Fractional T1 or a Full T1 line?

I don't know if I can find you a SOHO T1 router at your price range, I have come across 3com 3016 model, it has intergrated CSU/DSU, support for VPN, it has firewall function but doesn't say what type, it has Access Control List (Packet Filtering). Does not have any application layer filtering (no web/url content filtering). Cost = around $600 to $650 (depends where you buy from)
Connect directly to the T1 Line

http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=features&pathtype=purchase&sku=3C13616

Cisco has the 805 model, this one has a serial interface that connects to the CSU/DSU modem. Has support for VPN, has firewall function like ACL, stateful (dynamic) ACL filtering based on application and context based. Cost = around $600 to $700 (depends where you buy from)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/ps385/index.html
Connect to the CSU/DSU modem via serial cables

You can't use broadband router like the one you see on newegg with a T1 line. So you'll gonna have to put in some money, I don't know if I can find you a cheap one at your price range. Maybe someone can.....

Personally between those two router, I would buy the 3Com. Unless you find a better deal for the Cisco, else 3Com is great also. I believe all 3Com come with manual on how to configure their product. Cisco on the other hand, you might need a CCNA or CCNP candidate, however they do have tutorial on thier site.

YES

Thanks guys for the info, this will work. this is actually for a network class, I am doing a project. and this router is a start... now i just need a good HARDWARE tower that can handle a File Server and a mail server. anyone know a good one if you dont mind me asking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom