Long range Wi-fi, 10km

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zune Guy

In Runtime
As a complete newb to almost everything to do with wi-fi (except connecting laptops to hotspots etc.) I really need help with this. I live in rural Ireland which means I'm stuck with dial-up (and a bad health service too :) ) Lately it's starting to gat unbearable after using even a bog standard 512kb connection on my laptop when out and about. I live about 8-10km from the nearest town where a friend has broadband and I have heard long range links ARE possible, but how. I understand I need 2 external anennas but what then, 2 normal routers (unscrew the supplied antenna and connect the new ones) or a router and a pci card or a specific pair of routers:confused: :confused: :confused: . Overall what will I need bearing in mind the different regulations and how will I secure it?
Thanks for any help at all guys.

Possable but the speed is flaky as is the quality. The cost can be prohibitive as well. There is a book called Hacking WiFi that has a entire section on supper long range wifi might provide a better answer.

I'm looking but 24dBi antennas are only about €50 or so, perhaps I could use someones house as a "middle man" so I would only have 5km links (x2) and 21dBi antennas (x4). Will have a look for that book because only other option is satellite which I hear is pretty bad and not suitable for gaming but would this be worse (ping? whatever that means)
But thanks for the quick reply:happy:

Stalight Broadband is a rip off, and very unsuitable for gaming. And a ping time is basically how long a bit of data takes to reach the right server an back again.

What is your local area like any hill's or wood's in the way as they will distort the signal almost to a unusable level.

Going 10Km there is now way that a 24DB antenna will get you that signal. Even with a clear line of sight and no obstructions. Would have to have several boosters along the way along with some repeaters.

I could be wrong but i never heard of a WiFi signal going that far without the help of repeaters and boosters.

Going 10Km there is now way that a 24DB antenna will get you that signal. Even with a clear line of sight and no obstructions. Would have to have several boosters along the way along with some repeaters.

I could be wrong but i never heard of a WiFi signal going that far without the help of repeaters and boosters.

24dBi antenna will do it, just not an omnidirectional one. to even have a remote chance at this you must use directional antennas and line them up pointed at each other. WiFi signals can carry a very long distance if the correct equipment is used. i know in my city someone has made a WiFi link from the hills to our east to Rottnest Island which is some 30-40km i think.

Cool thanks for that info Nite and Chris. Now i know. And knowing is half the battle. GI Joe!!

Sorry went off on a rant there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom