Local Area Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

XF

Solid State Member
I'm attending my first LAN with friends soon, and I have few questions if someone can help me please and answer.
I've got a 8Ports Switch, can 8 people play on it? Since I've heard one computer must be the server. But ain't it like normal gaming, can't we just create a game without making it dedicated, and make everyone be in the game?
Another thing, after I plug all the Computers and the Switch, how to I set the LAN up? I know I need to do some thing with TCP/IP. Not sure though.

Thanks in advance.

install TCP/IP on each computer.
set IP address for every computer from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.8
then you are set
you can let one computer host the game and other join him

Yea, it really depends on the game....you may need to have a dedicated server but most likely not....after all....you are all local and there aren't like 64 people connecting at one time or anything ;)
You playing battlefield?

-Mike

Thanks people. :)
Well, we have BattleField Vietnam, but we are only 8 people so it probably won't be something we'll play alot.

Btw, what do u mean 'Install TCP/IP', the IPs you told me to set, ain't I just setting it through the network card settings ? Or ? hmm :X

Exactly, just make sure that all of the setttings on your cards are set for a similar address. Like Harold II suggested above. and use a 255.255.255.0 subnet (although the subnet wont really matter) they just all need to be the same. But use the range above. (192.168.0.1 though 192.168.0.whatever)

Sorry that I have so much questions, but I've got one more - what do I need to do with DNS? Disable it? Leave it as it is ?

Hmm okay, last question, may sound dumb. How do I get to my network card options and TCP/IP thing? I go network connection and it's not there, how do I install it ? do I need too?
When I click create new connection, how can I create the LAN one?

goto network connection>lan connection.right click properties.By default you should have tcp ip installed. Double click tcp ip and add the suggested ip's, and that done,

Connection is made. Now in CLI you can ping each other to see if connection is made. And see if you NIC card is lit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom