living in the country sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

threemooses

In Runtime
ok i live in the country and all the high speed dsl and broadband internet providers dont come out this far. ive herd of satalite broadband and there also this thing called nutel with is like wireless or somthing anyways the satalite internet is like 500 dollars to intal and i haerd it was not the best for gaming so does any one have any suggestions to what kind on gamming internet i should get

you get cell phone service out there. i know tmobile and sprint offer inet over their cell phones.

i had a tmobile connection at 115kbps.

Unless you're super rich and can afford having a T1 connection installed, you're pretty much SOL for online gaming. I live in the country too (I lived in town for a long period of time with DSL, and let me tell you, coming back is ****) and got Satellite from DirecWay as my only possible broadband solution.

First of all, it is extremely expensive ($100/month for 18 months if you add the installation into the monthly cost). You also can't play any games that require any type of reaction time at all (FPS, RTS, MMORPG... the list goes on). The only games I've had success playing online with satellite is tower defense on Warcraft III.

If you have the money to spare and want fast browsing speeds and the ability to download very quickly (100kb/s average download speed), it might be a good choice. However, there are several limiting factors other than no online gaming and the cost to consider. First of all, there is a FAP (Fair Access Policy) which will cap your download speed down to 2-4kb/s for a while if you download over 169mb in a short period of time. You have to learn to download and let it cool back down to get the most downloads before FAP hits you. Second, it will act up in bad weather. It's not as bad as you'd think, as you can usually browse and download even in heavy rain. The most problems occur when it's extremely dark and cloudy. The signal is a lot more reliable than satellite TV.

I don't know anything about the wireless internet, but I assume it would suck for gaming too because of the way the data is sent (large latency, just like satellite). If can get over online gaming but want broadband, satellite might be a good choice. But if you absolutely have to game online, just stick with 56k. Or possibly play games with 56k and have Satellite for your downloading and browsing needs.

I know it's hard, I had to quit World of WarCraft (possibly the most addictive online game in existance) and the great guild and community I was in to go back to the sticks (parents getting back together). Life sucks sometimes, you just have to make the best of it. Good luck with your ISP choice.

If you're young and are living with your parents, think of it like I am - move as soon as you graduate. If you're an adult, move.

Edit: I could be wrong about the wireless. You'd best wait for more advice or look into that yourself.

well it says that is is sutable for online gaming but they might jkust be saying that if you want to check it out for your self go to there website it is nutelbroadband.com i think that is what im getting but iono you may want to look at it. but any way does t1 come threw the phone cuz thats the like the only conection to anything we have

Someone else that is experienced with wireless might be more suitable to help you out with that. But from what I've heard, it's not very good for gaming. It's probably better than satellite, but depending on how much better, that might not mean much.

T1 would have to be installed for you and it is very expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom