Linksys WRT54G Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirkpitt45

Daemon Poster
We've had this router for a while now, guess almost a year. Old one burned out and have to say it was wayy better then this POS.

Anyways my mom's work laptop had Panda Security (if you think Norton's bad....) and it would not let her send e-mails over a non-encrypted wireless network. Her tech people said it had to be set like that for her office and there was nothing they could do to change it.

So I put a password and apparently encrypted our home network using the WRT54G. Changed my NAT from open to Moderate, but that wasn't too big of a deal then. But now that I've built my computer I spend a lot more time on it, and time downloading stuff. Which down speeds are being severely hampered by the router and me not being able to forward the port. I have a 100mps connection, yet the highest speed I ever see is 250kbs...

I found this tutorial for port forwarding, it says you must type in the IP address of your router in IE and you can change stuff from there. Problem is I can't connect to my router apparently. It just says it cannot display the web page along with diagnose connection options.

I also can't re-install the linksys set-up program which I used to encrypt the network with. It doesn't support win 7 and I can't seem to find a version anywhere to download.

Anyone have any ideas? Or should I just go out and buy a new router cause its really starting to annoy me. Everything is crazy slow, getting less then 50kbs for everything and lagging like crazy on xbox now.

The default IP for Linksys routers is 198.162.2.1, not 198.162.1.1 (just in case you are trying to use the "normal" one).

You could always swap out the firmware. DD-WRT and Tomato spring to mind.

Okay, first this has nothing to do with your router.

What address are you typing?? cause EVERY manufactuer has a different setup ip.
My 54GL is 192.168.1.1 You don;'t need the setup disk, but you do need the password too the router.

using speedtest what is your up and down speeds?

Edit

Trotter you got it wrong actually.. but easiest vway to find is use ipconfig

Ok so I go to local area connection status then details and there's this address : 192.168.1.100, which is what I'm typing into IE. Also I believe the default password is admin? remember reading that somewhere.

Here's speed test, Tbaytel is pretty crappy too, but I know other people who get way better down speeds and connections with the same DSL service. It's a 100mbs connection, if that matters :p.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I have a wrt54G, and it defaults to 198.163.2.1. Mine is an older model, though. I know it used 2.1 because portforward.com won't work with a 2.1 address. ;)

None of them work :( They all say page cannot be displayed. Is there anyway to just completely reset the router?

It can't be .100 as thats your computer. it has to end in .1

Open a command box and type ipconfig It'll give you a ip address for your gateway. type that.

Or, vista had the router show up in the network map (Control Panel\Network Map).. find that and just click it.

Trotter.. hm intresting..

Then saddly, you're going to need to do a hard reboot.

This means you are going to loose your current settings.

To do it, use a tack or pin and put it in the tiny hole in the back. hold for 5 sec, the default wifi name is linksys, but if youre wired, it won't matter.

Out of curiousity... what is the address?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom