linksys wireless modem/router setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikekelly

Beta member
Hello,

I have just bought a new linksys wireless modem/router (model=WRT54G) and after configuring the router through my a AOL wired connection through a modem supplied by AOL as instructed I cant seem to connect to the internet over the wireless connection.

Setup runs fine and tells me my router is configured, I then use the web based configuration by pinging the routers IP address and make sure the correct settings are allocated. I selected automatic configuration - DHCP which the user guide tells me is right for my connection type which through AOL is a dynamic IP address, then I try to connect to a web page using firefox and nothing happens, I then try connection with IE and again nothing happens. In my system tray I check wireless connection icon and it tells me that im connected to the network and that the signal strength is very good and @54mbps but still my browser wont connect to the internet using the wireless connection. I have TCP/IP enabled as well as select IP address automatically in my connection properties. After trying to re-run setup the software tells me the router is all ready congfigured and connected.

Can anyone please shed some light on why this may be and point me in the right direction to troubleshoot.

any help would go down a treat!

Thanks
Mike

Is this a new broadband connection? The router/modem should have a PPoE setting, which I think AOL uses. This is where you need to enter your AOL username and password. Remember it's your modem now sending information to your ISP when you go online, so your username and password has to be set in the modem.

Let us know if that works

If that doesn't work, more than likely it's that horrible AOL setup software causing you your problems. Try disabling (or better yet uninstalling) all of that AOL garbage, and then try to connect via internet explorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom