Linksys router, wireless setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry K

Fully Optimized
so, I took my OLD... 4 years old?? linksys wireless router with me to family's house.....

I have not messed with it in long time and no CD or anything.

I have my laptop (xp pro) and another laptop (xp pro-- i think)
I have the linksys 4 port router (BEFW11S4).
and 1 cat 5 cable
--- both laptops have wirelesscards

I know it should be pretty easy to setup and get wirless in the house....but can someone walk me through the steps???

1) plug everything in and connect cat 5 to laptop to router (uplink or port 1?)

2) go to 192.198.0.1 ??

3) don't I need password? I forget what I do when going to the software setup that is hardcoded on the router??

I have no software CDs, no instructions.... nothing but the router and 2 laptops AND bad memory (not RAM) *smile*

I haven't messed with setting up wireless network in a while

TRUE---- I figure if I just go buy the new stuff... it does it all for you with few clicks of the button???

but that is not the point

THANKS!!

well.... I just read on the MSFT site.... because of Windows XP Service Pack 2.... it should be easy, simple to setup....

I saw it was 192.168.1.1

I remember having issues/troubles few years ago....
I will find out soon enough
:)

thanks

The linsys routers have a reset feature....im not sure how long you have to hold the reset button....but it will reset to factory settings....

Try holding it for 40 seconds, I have a Netgear and that's how long it takes for mine to reset. The lights should start blinking. I mean, I guess you could max out for over a minute, anything over that is unnecessary.

For BEFW11S4's Driver, User Guide, etc you can get them at Linksys website (using another pc with internet connection):

www.linksys.com - Support - Downloads

After downloading, either burn the downloads into a CD or save them in a USB flash/thumb drive. Then run de CD in your pc CD-Rom drive (or plug in de thumb drive into the USB port) to install the driver.

Go thro de User Guide to get familiar with the setup procedure. If you still have problem setting it up, pls let me know, I believe I may be able to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom