Linksys Router says connected, but browser not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not quite sure how you're getting internet from a school for a personal computer in a home? (am I reading this right?) Give me a few minutes, I'll put down some protocals to try it. Biggest issue I see, is DHCP isn't connected, and Media outlets are FUBAR. Give me a few mins to a quick simulation.

Hey, what kind of router specifically are you using?

First, lets go over physical installation.

1. Are all LAN Cables fully installed? (plugged in, not loose, no shaky, no sparks etc.?)

2. Are you using an external CSU/DSU? If so, make sure the routers serial interface is plugged into it, and the device itself (the CSU/DSU) is plugged into the Telco.

3. If you're using an internal CSU/DSU, just make sure hte serial port from the router is plugged into the Telco.

4. If you have it, (if you don't, that's the issue right there) plug the console port into the PC with a rollover cable to configure your router.

5. Is the power cable fully installed? Not loose, etc?

6. Is the device itself on? What lights do you see turned on?

7. Do you have any ADDITIONAL wires or wireless signals going on? (how many devices is the Router supporting? Do you have the proper amount of cables plugged into the devices/do you have the proper devices for the wireless connections? this right here, is huge)

8. Your Modem, do you have the proper cables installed? (Phone, Ethernet, etc.) Is it on?

9. ARE YOU POSITIVE THAT IT IS IN FACT A ROUTER, AND NOT A SWITCH? (Last time I troubleshooted someones CISCO Router, it turned out to be a CISCO Switch, they look almost identical depending on the model) That's physical.

Now, lets go into software: This as it is, I don't know how privy you are with CISCO configurations. So I'll need a few mins to go step by step in how to fix the issue.

Another thing, double check, and make sure your computer/network doesn't have a firewall that's literally blocking the internet connection. (It's happened, I've seen it several times) I'm an idiot. Just realized it's a Linksys and not a CISCO. Anyways, same physical installtion guidelines apply. What type of Router are you using? Is it a WRT45G? Either way, follow physical troubleshooting checks first anyway, also, check your cables full-length, looking for fraying etc. of anykind.

Hey, I also need to know, are you comfortable going through your systems Command Prompt? (Command Line, DOS Menu, whatever you wish to call it) If so, to start, right click on your desktop. Click New. Click Shortcut. in the textbox type in:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CMD.EXE (turn the back slashes into forward slashes)

for file name, type "Command Prompt" this will be your forever guide into your systems Command Line.

right click the short cut, and in "start in" box, type in: C:\ (backslash into forward slash / ) and click apply, and click ok. (this way, it'll save you time from typinc C:\ a hundred times over and over and over again with each command.

When you're ready, let me know. OH, and BTW, I'm assuming your default HD is in Drive C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom