linksys router connection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weirdman

Beta member
Ok i just bought a linksys bfsr41 and i have the high speed modem hooked up and my computer hooked up to it and it dosn't seem to get a internet connection from the router the lights are on like it works but my computer dosn't read a connection from the router i thought i might need a driver but i can't find one..

other websites say that i need to uninstall all of my connection programs and stuff but i don't really feel like messing somthing up.
What do i need to do

thanks
Nathan

did you read the manual and set up your ip address and stuff? Start there and see if you can find the answer.

There are quite a few reasons this could happen.

First, check to make sure your computer is set to get a dynamic IP address. (contro panel -> network settings -> right click local area connections -> properties -> click Internet Protocol (tcp/ip) -> click properties) Make sure Assign IP address automatically is clicked.

Then make sure that you're getting an IP address from the router. (Start -> run -> cmd) type ipconfig. You should have a 192.168.1.xxx IP address.

Second, unplug all devices and turn off all computers. Wait 60 seconds, then turn them on in this order. Modem, router, computers.

Third, some ISP's use mac address filtering. Check with your ISP, and if they do, you'll need to register your router's mac address with them.

not really an answer to your question, but i just brought a linksys wrt54gs which dropped anything larger than about 4 meg in size and really started to get annoying. a firmware update solved it, but i'm kind of surprised that the problem wasn't noticed before the routers were shipped because my first test for a router would be to transfer some stupidly large file! Anyway back to the point, upgrade your firmware see if that works. You have plugged your modem into the uplink port havent you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom