linksys network config help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrzeeedler

Daemon Poster
I have 2 computers that im trying to network so i can copy files from one to the other and such. They are already sharing internet. And both hard drives are shared but i can not access either comp from 1 or the other. Both on same workgroup and both sharing internet. Someone tell me what im doing wrong. I have done this a million times before i just cant get it this time.

I had the same problem with my linksys router...I now have a d-link :) Ill never go back. Anyways Have you looked through your online control panel? You might need to configure something there.

For linksys routers to access cp(in case you dont know:
-go to internet browerser, enter http://192.168.1.1

when dialogue comes up leave user blank and enter "admin" for password.

mrzeeedler said:
I have 2 computers that im trying to network so i can copy files from one to the other and such. They are already sharing internet. And both hard drives are shared but i can not access either comp from 1 or the other. Both on same workgroup and both sharing internet. Someone tell me what im doing wrong. I have done this a million times before i just cant get it this time.

What OS are you running on pc's? Are you running a firewall app on each machine? It sounds like your running XP on both boxes, If that's the case...

SYMPTOMS
On Windows XP-based computers that are configured as members of a workgroup in a peer-to-peer network environment, you may experience one or more of the following behaviors:
- You cannot access shared folders or files.
- You cannot locate other computers in the workgroup.

You receive the following error message when you double-click the workgroup in My Network Places:

Workgroup Name is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource.

CAUSE
This behavior may occur if both the following conditions are true:
- NetBIOS over TCP/IP is not turned on (enabled) on one or more computers in the workgroup.
- The Computer Browser service is not started or is turned off on one or more computers in the workgroup.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, make sure that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is turned on and the Computer Browser service is running on each computer in the workgroup. To do this, follow these steps.

Step 1: Turn on NetBIOS over TCP/IP
- Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Network and Internet Connections.
- Click Network Connections.
- Right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.
- Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.
- Click the General tab, and then click Advanced.
- Click the WINS tab.
- Under NetBIOS setting, click Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP, and then click OK two times.
- Click Close to close the Local Area Connection Properties dialog box.
- Close the Network Connections window.

Step 2: Start the Computer Browser service
- Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
- Double-click Services and Applications.
- Double-click Services.
- In the right pane, right-click Computer Browser, and then click Start.
- Close the Computer Management window.
- Voila! It's done!!!

Have you tried doing an explicit request for the shared computer??

Go into Windows explorer and type this in the address bar.

\\computername\sharedfolder

Also, make sure that both computers are in the same workgroup. In XP that's done by right clicking on My computer, going to properties. Under the Computer Name tab, click change.

wow jenn_1206 thank you so very much. Enabling net bios let me do it. I would have sat for days trying to figure it out. Thanks you guys.

Help i cant print now. I am on the computer without the printer. THe one connected to the printer is in the other room. Their is 2 differnt printers in my printers and faxes. One says auto on minority the other is the one i setup on minority. (minority is name for other comp). for the best of me i can get it to work. On the one i setup it says rpc server unavailable. On the auto one it just fails to print.

Also i cant access either computer anymore. From both it says no permission and im on the admin accounts for the computers. This doesnt make sense it worked like 2 days ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom