linksys corrupt firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester73440

Baseband Member
I tried up dating the firmware on my router. in the middle of the update it said connection to server lost.

I have been following linksys directions on fixing corrupt firmware but I'm stuck. when I do ipconfig/renew it says " unable to contact dhcp server. timed out" I'm using vista and I'm running cmd as administrator

I have to do this because I have no default gateway. sorry if I left out any information I'm on my pda

1) Can you link the instructions that you are following?
2) Have you tried to reset the gateway/router back to the factory defaults?
3) Have you tried from more than 1 computer or just the Vista machine?

Oh, ok. So you cant even obtain an IP in order to tftp the firmware back into it?

Look at the instructions carefully though... towards the bottom it says that it will be common for it to not be able to assign you an address.

Most of the time, if the power LED on the router is blinking it loses its ability to assign IP addresses to the PCs connected to it, which is why you need to assign the computer a static IP address. For instructions, click here. After assigning a static IP address, reload the firmware of the router. For instructions, follow the steps below.

So, I would just assign yourself
IP 192.168.1.100
SubMask 255.255.255.0
DG 192.168.1.1

and then you should be all set to upload it like it illustrates.

****, those are some detailed instructions... lol... they really dont want their users missing a step. lol
All these arrows pointing in different directions and ****...

Oh snap!!!

Downloading tftp.exe

To download a copy of the tftp.exe file, click here. After downloading the tftp.exe file, reset the router. For instructions, follow the steps below.

Resetting the Router

Hold in the Reset button at the back of the router for 30 seconds. Unplug the power to the router and then plug it back in. After resetting the router, assign a static IP address on your computer. For instructions, follow the steps below.

NOTE: The location of the reset button may vary depending on the Linksys router you are using.
ADDITIONAL NOTE: If you have to take a ****, please do so now as this process make take a few minutes.

now THAT is some detail....

yes they are very detailed and pointing in all the different directions makes it difficult to follow on a **** phone! ok I assigned it an ip but now I can't get the dns serves address. it tells you to sign into the router's site to get them but I can't. it tells me can not find server or it times out trying to connect. I tried doing the tftp anyway but no luck

Can you ping the router from your machine after you give it a static address?
Only other thing that I can think of to do ins in the doc

1) reset the router
2) give your machine a static address of 192.168.1.100 Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 DG 192.168.1.1 (shouldn't need a DNS, but it would be 192.168.1.1)
3) make sure that port 69 is not being blocked from your firewall (just disable all firewall on your pc altogether...but if you need to setup a "rule" it's port 69 for UDP)
4) try to ping

I know this might be a silly question but are you connected to the router wired or wireless? Need to be wired to it directly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom