LinkMAX HSA300A to D-Link DI-624

Status
Not open for further replies.

nub

Beta member
I've done a search through the forums and read several messages regarding the connection of two routers together, but either I'm an idiot, or the question I'm about to pose hasn't been asked. I'm thinking more of the former, but I hope not.

Recently our house was struck by lightning and it took my network stuff and PC's out. At the time, I had a GreatSpeed ADSL router connected to a Belkin Switch and everything was good. My ADSL router was replaced by my ISP with a LinkMAX HSA300A. Since I lost PC's I replaced them with a new notebook with wireless capability. So, I purchased a D-Link DI-624 thinking that I could use the internal switch for my hardwired network, and the wireless for my notebook.

Naturally I haven't been able to get things to work, or I wouldn't be posting here <grin>. The LinkMAX has an RJ11 connection for the phoneline (DSL) and an RJ45 connection for ethernet. What I want to do is connect the WAN port of the D-Link to the RJ45 port on the LinkMAX, but I'm a bit confused on how I should setup the D-Link so that I can use the internet connected via the LinkMAX.

Hypothetical Settings:
LinkMAX
IP = 192.175.45.12
Subnet = 255.255.255.0
PPoE (RFC2516) connection
WAN Address supplied by ISP
WAN Gateway supplied by ISP
DNS Server supplied by ISP

What should the D-Link settings be?
Should the Gateway of the D-Link be the IP of the LinkMAX?
Or the WAN address of the D-Link be whatever?

I'm just dazed and confused.
Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Rick

nub said:
What should the D-Link settings be?
Should the Gateway of the D-Link be the IP of the LinkMAX?
Or the WAN address of the D-Link be whatever?

First, turn off dhcp on dlink. Let's pray that the wireless host knows to pull its dhcp info from the linkmax.

The gateway of the dlink should be the linkmax.

Set the Wan ip of the dlink to an address on the same subnet. I would hope that that router acts like a switch instead of a router

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom