linking 2 computers together in a home

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattd

Baseband Member
I have 2 computers, with one external high speed modem, and internet access to one computer. How do I hook up the second computer to the first computer so that the second computer will have access to the internet?

Can you describe your network in better detail??

Is your internet dialup or broadband?

If you have broadband, you can get a router, and that would go between the computers and the broadband modem. Modem plugs into the WAN port on the router, and PC's plug into the remaining ports.

If you are using DIALUP modem, and want to hook the PC's together, you will have to use a CROSSOVER ethernet cable to connect them. You will also have to enable INTERNET CONNECTION SHARING.

its a broadband, and thanks for the help. Can I buy all the stuff required at bestbuy?

Yes, you can.

HERE is a link to the Best Buy ROUTERS page.
All you should need is a broadband router, and ethernet cables. If you have computers in other rooms, you can get a wireless router, but each remote PC will need a wireless card as well, which is more costly than a wired network. My suggestion would be to get a wireless router, because their prices are comparable to wired routers, and it has the capability for wireless without getting a new router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom