Link / URL to connect to WiFi

getusama

Beta member
Hi all

I have a group of friends coming over to my place and I have a new internet connection.

One of the things I often wondered that rather than handing them the ID and the password to connect to the home WiFi (through my router) if it was possible to send them a link/URL that they could just tap on their phones or tablets and the connection would be established then that would really be cool.

Please let me know if any of you guys think this is possible.

Many thanks

It's true, yes it is possible, if you set up a home-based server that also has access to the Internet. It is local server with internet connection, what may be installed in your computer.

Hi

thanks for replying. I am extremely interested to set this up. Please will you guide me a bit more. I have the below NAS:

WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra

I know i can install light weight servers there.

Are there any instructions?
What should I do next please?

I'm sure I can not teach you anything better than it's already done
Recommendation - Open Google Search and type in the search box - Install local server
Or use this link
Code:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Install+local+server&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gfe_rd=cr&ei=2IpTWY2EGqXi8Aep47uICw
There are many different options.

I'm sure I can not teach you anything better than it's already done
Recommendation - Open Google Search and type in the search box - Install local server
Or use this link
Code:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Install+local+server&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gfe_rd=cr&ei=2IpTWY2EGqXi8Aep47uICw
There are many different options.
This is utter nonsense. "Install a local server" means literally everything and nothing in that context.

Thanks for the reply but I still do not understand what do I have to do once I install a local server to accomplish what I want.

Sending a link to connect to a network would require them to have internet before they would even have a connection; possible on a phone that has mobile data, sure...but how would they get that link on another device? Even then, they would still have to connect to some kind of network in order to authenticate against that would connect them.

Instead, a portal is usually set up as a gateway (either on the router itself if it can support it), or through a separate network device, that basically has a username/password box (or something similar) - like what hotels use have for their guests.

I understand from the response that the above is not possible. So instead do you think it is possible to write a program (e.g. javascript or some other platform independent code) that can be run without installing. I could then ask the guests to run the program. Possibly in a browser using their mobile data. Inside the program I could write the SSID and the password and when executed it would in the background go to the device's WiFi settings > connect to the SSID > enter the password and establish the connection.

Back
Top Bottom