Limiting time online via router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sup2jzgte05

In Runtime
Is there anyway for me to limit the amount of time someone is on a PC via my Microsoft router?

See, a family member is spending well over 10 hours a day on WOW and I want to limit the amount of time they can be on without limiting other PC's in the house.

I was going through my router setting and I found this under security, but I'm not sure if this can help me or not. Any ideas if I can do this?

Portsedit.jpg

Port forwarding will not accomplish what you are wanting to do. The BEST way to accomplish this would to be limit that users access to the PC.... aside from that, if you provide the router model, we can look into the capabilities of that router, and it might be possible to do this.

If the router supports MAC Address filtering, it would be possible for you to COMPLETELY restrict internet access from that PC whenever you want, but you would likely have to enable and disable it manually from the router config page.

(you didn't have to block out the device's IP address, as it is a private IP, not routable on the internet... guessing 192.168.x.x range...)

It does have MAC filtering and a few other things. The model is Microsoft MN-500

Here is screen shot of the Management Tool's for the router

Ports2.jpg

Ok I have the MAC address of the PC I want to limit. I just dont know which one of these setting I need to use? I just want to limit access from that one PC and none of the others.

Filersettings.jpg

I have an MN-700 myself. (Although its been used main as a WAP/Switch with no DHCP/NAT for the last 6 months or so, so I may be a little shaky.

Client filtering should allow you to specify a port, ip address and window of availability. From there you just need to identify which ports you want to block and that information is availabel out on the net for individual games.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/6/9/b69c956c-85d9-4641-aa6f-1548391e0967/mn500_base_station_configuration_guide.pdf

Scrill all the way down to the section on Client Filtering (page 22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom