Limited or no connectivity ... very strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
By resetting the router do mean:

• pushing the little button on the back until the lights flash?
  • pulling the power cord waiting 30 secs to 1 min and then pluggin it back in?
    or
  • going to 192.168.1.1 and resetting the router to it's default settings?

If this is what you are referring to the answer would be yes. I do those on a daily basis and get the same result.

maybe it is dead

yet you can access the web interface, just take a peek at the dhcp server and make sure its on

I did a screen print of the interface, I'll be damned if it isn't at home on that PC. It actually said that DHCP was turned on, but didn't list IP and stuff like that.

I did a screen print of the interface, I'll be damned if it isn't at home on that PC. It actually said that DHCP was turned on, but didn't list IP and stuff like that.

thats odd

check it out when you go home

I would suggest getting a router, and not using the hub. You can get a decent one for like ~$60. A cable modem does not have routing/switch capabilities, and a hub is just a signal-splitting dummy box (so it doesn't either). If you're only paying for one ip subscription, using a hub isn't going to work for sharing internet, because you aren't paying for those other computers to connect. If you use a router, it will use NAT, which takes in one ip address and then allows the other computers connecting to it to all share that one address.

So, just go with a router.
At least that's my two cents.

P.S. sorry if you actually know your network stuff, not trying to downplay your knowledge

I would suggest getting a router, and not using the hub. You can get a decent one for like ~$60. A cable modem does not have routing/switch capabilities, and a hub is just a signal-splitting dummy box (so it doesn't either). If you're only paying for one ip subscription, using a hub isn't going to work for sharing internet, because you aren't paying for those other computers to connect. If you use a router, it will use NAT, which takes in one ip address and then allows the other computers connecting to it to all share that one address.

So, just go with a router.
At least that's my two cents.

P.S. sorry if you actually know your network stuff, not trying to downplay your knowledge

Thanks for the reply...there is a wireless router involved and I think we have pinpointed the problems to it. The hub was brought in for additional connectivity.

here are the screens from my router:

routerstatusod7.jpg

advancedroutingqv4.jpg

It doesn't look right to me, I'd get someone with a WRT45G to talk you through the process of setting it up.

thats dhcp on the wan port and its not picking up anything from ur modem what happens when u click dhcp renew?

That firmware is old, so first I'd flash it with the newest one from linksys' website.

Is there a tab where you can designate the router's ip and subnet? If you're releasing and renewing and it's still not showing up, try manually setting it. (I flashed my router with the dd-wrt linux firmware so I don't know if yours has it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom