Limited or no connectivity ... very strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the ipconfig /all for the primary PC:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : CK1

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-E6-DF-DB-8F

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.184.254.148

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.240.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 68.184.240.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.114.37.12

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.217.0.5

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, June 12, 2008 5:11:15 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, June 12, 2008 1:11:15 PM

bit of a mess, those 169 addresses are APIPA assigned, indicating the computer cannot find a DHCP server, which tallies with there being no gateway listed and with "DHCPServer = 255.255.255.255 Invalid IP Address"

I'm not sure I understand entirely whats going on, the ipconfig /all info from the primary PC is a bit baffling.

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 68.184.240.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.114.37.12

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.217.0.5

I would expect to see all three of these address' being the same, i.e. the address of your router/modem.

Anyway, here's my thoughts

1) this cable modem has only one port? and its a LAN port? most likely its designed to only give a connection to one PC. If this is the case, simply buying a router and connecting it to the modem will not work. (is it a NAT router?)

Edit: I looked it up:

Supports up to 63 users**
** Additional equipment (not included) such as Ethernet routers or hubs is necessary.

THis might be worth a look: Support and Downloads: My Network Planner

So it shouldn't be a problem.

2) Do the Cable modem and wireless router have IP addresses written on them somewhere? (and hope fully default passwords) What are those IP's?

3) I've not setup a scenario like this before so I may not be able to fix this (I've always worked with router/adsl modems.

4) Do you have client software for this cable modem?

Edit: No you don't, so ignore this one.

5) I need to think about this some more and read up on cable modems and your specific modem. You might try googling these things yourself, do you have a manual with the cable modem?

6) who is your ISP and what is their policy? it might be thet they are restricting you to a single connection - I think thats possible, you may have to pay extra to add new computers on to your LAN. It might be worth contacting them and running what you are trying to do past them.

2) I am not sure about an IP address on the hardware itself, I will check the hardware when I get home. I don't have things running through the Linksys wireless router or the Netgear hub at this point. I am plugged directly into the modem with the router and hub both powered off.

5) I have googled the issue, specifically this "DHCPServer = 255.255.255.255 Invalid IP Address" and everyone seems to be describing my issue but there isn't a solutiuon. I did not receive a manual with the modem, but i have read documentation on the website for the modem.

6) I have Charter as my ISP. I don't knwo that they have a restriction, but will check with them. I have a friend about a mile away with basically the same set-up that I have and everything is fine at his house.

If it's a modem it will not work by just connecting a hub to it.

you can go modem - wireless router - hub

that will let u connect everything

when u do an ipconfig from the working pc is it giving you a 192.168.x.x address?

I see the IP above

it's not a router so if u hook it up like i said u should be good

It's funny, my wife actually asked about the cable earlier today. Yes I have tried different cables and get the same results.

I will try plugging from modem to wireless router and see what happens, if that works I will bring in the hub.

Then the router will pull the wan IP and the dhcp from the router will issue ip's to all of your devices. :)

Your friend may have a combo router/modem and thats why the setup works for him, im assuming you have had your connection longer than he's had his which would explain your older modem. :)

Well I did the modem to router to pc set-up last night. My primary PC only pulled a 169 IP address. So at this point I am working under the assumption that the Linksys wireless router is dead. I am going to purchase a new one in the next week or so I guess.

My buddy actually has wireless router / switch all in one I found out. I will get another 4 port wireless router and run my 8 port hub off that.

Thanks for everyone's help.

did you try to reset the router? DHCP may be shut off

By resetting the router do mean:

• pushing the little button on the back until the lights flash?
  • pulling the power cord waiting 30 secs to 1 min and then pluggin it back in?
    or
  • going to 192.168.1.1 and resetting the router to it's default settings?

If this is what you are referring to the answer would be yes. I do those on a daily basis and get the same result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom