Limited or no connectivity ... very strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckshowtime

Solid State Member
Let me preface my post by saying that I am a noob on this board (obviously), I did brief search and no other thread fit my current situation. And a small warning....this could be very long winded.

I have 2 desktop PC's, and a laptop I use to work from home once a week. Only my primary desktop PC is pulling a true IP address and getting connectivity when plugged directly into the cable modem (Charter). At times I can unplug the primary desktop from the modem and plug my secondary desktop PC directly into the modem and get it to pull an IP address and connect. This is not the case for the laptop though.

I don't know how to describe my "set-up" other than PC turned on and plugged in. I purchased a Netgear DS108 8-port hub yesterday and connected all my devices.

Port #1 connects to modem.
Port #2 connects to primary PC
Port #3 connects to secondary PC
Port #4 connects to Xbox
POrt #5 connects to wireless router.

I haven't changed a thing on either desktop PC since they were formatted last, and that was months ago. My primary desktop PC is running Windows XP, secondary desktop PC is running Windows Vista, laptop is running Windows XP.

I haven't changed anything in my OS or in the Network Connections, from what I can see DHCP is enabled on both desktop PC's, and I didn't check the laptop because it always connected wireless. Obviously the wireless is on the back burner until I can get my connectivity figured out.

I ran it by a couple guys I am friends with who have experience with Networks and they were stumped. Any ideas would be great, I will be more than happy to run a hijackthis tonight and post them as well.

So the way I see it your problem is you can't get the laptop to connect. First connect the wireless router straight to the modem. Just to simplify things.
Can the laptop 'see' the wireless router at all?
If it can't, check your laptops wireless is turned on. There's usually a switch or button on the laptop. Also make sure the router is on (obviously).

Press the windows key and 'r' at the same time, type 'cmd' and press enter. Type 'ipconfig /release' and press enter. It should come up with your network addresses as 0.0.0.0
Then type 'ipconfig /renew'
It shouldn't take more than a few seconds, and if you're connected to the router, you'll recieve your new ip address, etc.

massive edit: oh. I think I misunderstood your problem :) eh, just checking here. Problem is that your network is limited through the hub? :)
Ok, are any of the pc's still receiving ip's through dhcp?

So the way I see it your problem is you can't get the laptop to connect.

This would be correct, but doesn't explain the entire situation. Only the primary desktop PC will connect, and it is not connected at all times recently. As recently as last night I was getting no connectivity on my primary desktop PC which is plugged directly into the cable modem.

massive edit: oh. I think I misunderstood your problem :) eh, just checking here. Problem is that your network is limited through the hub? :)
Ok, are any of the pc's still receiving ip's through dhcp?

Network is limited whether it is one pc, primary or secondary, connected to the modem or the hub. If I am running through the hub only the primary PC will connect and nothing else, assuming that I am getting any connectivity at that time.

I frequently try the ipconfig, ipconfig /release, and ipconfig /renew commands on whichever machine I am on at that time. It will return an error that it could not generate an IP do to the DHCP server not being available, or something like that.

I am sitting at my primary desktop now, and unable to pull an IP address on the secondary PC. Everything is connected through the hub as mentioned above.

well it could well be the cable modem, does it have any sort of interface that you can log into? or is it just a dumb modem? - If its acting as a DHCP server then I assume its at least a crude sort of router.
Things i'd try:
Reset the router/modem
update firmware on router/modem
make sure computer details are added into any MAC or IP filter on the router/modem
ensure the DHCP server is on and functioning on the router/modem
check the logs of the router/modem

from the PC's that can't connect run this command from the command prompt:

netsh diag show test > c:\test.txt

wait a minute and there should be a file called test.txt on your C drive, copy and paste the content here. (I don't know if this command is exactly the same under vista.)

Finally, is the "cable modem" definitely capable of providing multiple connections?

Also run this command and paste back the results:

ipconfig /all > c:\test.txt

well it could well be the cable modem, does it have any sort of interface that you can log into? or is it just a dumb modem? - If its acting as a DHCP server then I assume its at least a crude sort of router.

It is Motorola SB5101 Surfboard Cable Modem, I just got this one last week. I was having the same problem with my other modem which was a completely different model. The other modem had been running into my wireless router which was then ran into my PC. I am completely baffled at what suddenly caused all these problems.

Things i'd try:
Reset the router/modem done - same result

update firmware on router/modem need to check their website

make sure computer details are added into any MAC or IP filter on the router/modem might need a little help on this when we get there

ensure the DHCP server is on and functioning on the router/modem
check the logs of the router/modem will need a little help on this probably too

from the PC's that can't connect run this command from the command prompt:

netsh diag show test > c:\test.txt

Default Outlook Express Mail (Not Configured)

Default Outlook Express News (Not Configured)

Internet Explorer Web Proxy (Not Configured)

Loopback (127.0.0.1)
Loopback = 127.0.0.1
Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=0
Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Modems (ESS ES56T-PI Data Fax Modem)

Network Adapters ([00000001] VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter)
DHCPServer = 255.255.255.255 Invalid IP Address
IPAddress = 169.254.237.32
Pinging 169.254.237.32 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 169.254.237.32: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=0
Ping statistics for 169.254.237.32:

Also run this command and paste back the results:

ipconfig /all > c:\test.txt

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : HOME2

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-09-64-D3-25

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.237.32

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Here's an idea. Try plugging the second PC into the usb port on the modem, while keeping the first computer plugged into the RJ45 port. That's what I do at home, when I want to connect my pc to the internet as well as the usual pc that's connected.

I don't think your modem supports more than one connection over the ethernet interface, usually if it will there'll be more than one port on the router/modem.

Here's an idea. Try plugging the second PC into the usb port on the modem, while keeping the first computer plugged into the RJ45 port. That's what I do at home, when I want to connect my pc to the internet as well as the usual pc that's connected.

I don't think your modem supports more than one connection over the ethernet interface, usually if it will there'll be more than one port on the router/modem.

It actually recognizes the router now with the USB cable connected rather than the lan cable. However it is still only pulling a 169 IP address. I ran ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew and get an error. It appears that I now have 2 Local area Connections, one is the Network card and the other is the cable modem itself.

here are the new results of the cmd netsh diag show test

Default Outlook Express Mail (Not Configured)

Default Outlook Express News (Not Configured)

Internet Explorer Web Proxy (Not Configured)

Loopback (127.0.0.1)
Loopback = 127.0.0.1
Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:

Modems (ESS ES56T-PI Data Fax Modem)

Network Adapters
2. [00000010] Motorola SURFboard SB5101 USB Cable Modem
DHCPServer = 255.255.255.255 Invalid IP Address
IPAddress = 169.254.74.62
Pinging 169.254.74.62 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 169.254.74.62: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=0
Ping statistics for 169.254.74.62:

and here is the the newest ipconfig /all results:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : HOME2

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-09-64-D3-25

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Motorola SURFboard SB5101 USB Cable Modem

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-C0-8C-BA-63

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.74.62

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

With both pcs connected, one through the usb port and one through the ethernet port, what are the ip addresses and default gateways?

e.g. for pc2 it's 169.254.74.62 with no default gateway.
for pc1 it's ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom