"Limited or No Connectivity" Problems..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nihsnek

Baseband Member
Hi,

Well..I'm stumped on something..

I have a PC across my house that connects to my Belkin repeater that gets the signal from my Belkin router. This setup has been working fine for several months...

Last night, the PC got the error: "Limited or No Connectivity" after trying to retrieve the IP from the router. I know this problem occurs when you have a protected network such as using WEP/WPA..but my network is completely unsecured and open. This is the IP address and subnet mask that it eventually gets: 169.254.0.16 ; 255.255.0.0 - These are not even close to the "normal" range..the connection strength hovers from good - very good.

Here comes the weird part: I put my laptop next to the far away PC. My laptop picked up the signal fine W/O ANY PROBLEMS...and so did the PC! When I moved my laptop away, the wireless went, once again, to "Limited or No Connectivity".

Very strange...I've never had this problem for 4-5 months..and all of a sudden(keep in mind, I made NO changes on my router/etc. these past weeks).

My laptop can pick up the connection fine all over my house..so I'm not sure what-the-heck it is...Any ideas???

One more thing: I restored my friend's HP Pavilion a320n with Win XP, restored the network drivers from factory, and it displays the same "Limited or No Connectivity" when plugged directly INTO the router!!! This might be of a different cause...either way, it's extremely weird!!

I've tried restarting my router/dsl modem, computers, repeater, host computer, adapters, etc. I've also restored my router settings back to "factory".

Any ideas, comments, suggestions?

I've tried everything from reinstalling Windows XP, applying patches, clearing winsock, ipconfig /release and /renew..etc

I've been working on this for 6 hours now...

Try reflashing your router to the latest firmware. Try using that computer with a different network, to see which device is broken.

I have seen this issue occur when the antennae on the wireless card is going bad. The proximity of a second antennae acts as an extended antennae. If you can swap the antennaes out and try it that might help you determine the exact cause. The wireless card itself might be going bad, if you have a spare swap it in and see how that works. This really seems like it's going to turn out to be a hardware problem unless you recently installed some incredibly restrictive firewall like Norton, which sometimes blocks DHCP requests.

Well, my router is obviously fine if both this pc(wired) and my laptop(wired or wireless) both work fine. I called my Wireless card phone and they think that somehow the wireless card got programmed to pick up the signal from the laptop instead of my repeater.

I think it has something to do with how the DHCP server hands out IPs...my computer must have it's IP stored and that's the only one it ever gets assigned..so when my laptop is on, it takes .2, and my computer will take .3 then.

I'm going to try and set it to a static IP and see what happens.

Well, my router is obviously fine if both this pc(wired) and my laptop(wired or wireless) both work fine. I called my Wireless card phone and they think that somehow the wireless card got programmed to pick up the signal from the laptop instead of my repeater.

I think it has something to do with how the DHCP server hands out IPs...my computer must have it's IP stored and that's the only one it ever gets assigned..so when my laptop is on, it takes .2, and my computer will take .3 then.

I'm going to try and set it to a static IP and see what happens.

Have you accidentally set your laptop up in Ad-Hoc mode with Internet Sharing enabled? But even then if the laptop is out of range the PC should pick up the regular wireless network. I truly think you're going to have to swap out the wireless card in your PC or the antennae on it.

Well..see.

Here is the other issue:

My other desktop that I just installed WinXP on the other day gets the same "limited or no connectivity" error..even when it is WIRED to the router?!!?!

I tried setting a static IP on it and it's doesn't work either...I put a PCI Wireless card into it and tried, same error. I'm thinking it has something to do with the Windows settings...

My farther desktop picks up a 60% signal still from my repeater, with 100% quality and 0% noise...so it's connecting just not getting an IP.

Plugged my friend's desktop into my DSL modem...same error before I even entered PPPOE settings..

Still clueless on the other desktop.

Well, my friend said his ethernet on the motherboard was fried..I'm installing a new one atm.

Any ideas on the wireless problem?

This was the same problem that my g/f had...

It was actually a modem issue. She had an outdated modem for comcast. And they just gave her a new one and problem solved. I tried the same troubleshooting you did before calling comcast, and nothing worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom