Limited or No Connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahleumon

Beta member
One Windows XP Pro (Belken Router)
One Windows XP Pro (Microsoft USB Adapter)

I had both connected to the internet and working fine, but for the life of me couldn't get them to share files. I did everything, Simple File Sharing Enabled/Disabled, Permissions, Registry Settings. Everything and still couldn't get them to work, so I reinstalled Xp Pro on both.

The problem starts here I think. Once I had windows installed, I installed Sygate Firewall on both and also Kaspersky Antivirus. THEN I installed SP2. Turned of Windows Firewall and connected fine with my wired computer. Updated everything else from internet. My wireless computer, now connects to network but gives me (Limited or No Connectivity) and I can't get on the internet with it. Also, sometimes/not always, it says that I have the wrong WEP keys installed, which I don't.(For Sure)

I looked on the internet for this type of problem and maybe found a Hotfix. http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=36382

I tried disabling both Sygate Firewalls, no help. When I go to install hotfix on wireless computer it freezes right at TCP/IP.sys and I have to restart. On wired computer the hotfix installed fine. I haven't tried the reg key yet. I did try dropping connection speed to 10tx and switching channels. Tried reset resetlog.txt, but it said parameters where incorrect. Tired stopping DHCP client and Wireless Zero Configuration, no luck.
Called IP and can't set my computer as Static IP.

All setting like, Workgroup, SSID, etc. Are correct.

My question is this, should I reinstall XP again on both computers or just the wireless one and when I install SP2, should I not install any other software (firewall/antivirus).

Also, after SP2 is installed, should I run the network setup wizard with my modem disabled or enabled. I quess it would be fine if I would since I have SP2 installed. I heard you can get hacked in less than four minutes now without SP2.

Any other help would be great.

Thanks Dan

Ok, if it is not too much trouble, I would start from scratch. Grab the documents that are important to you and reload. Once you get them both back up immidiately install SP2. Not so much because it enhances security, but that it will put both computers on the same page. Disable the firewall from Microsoft, and do NOT install another firewall. This will complicate matters and really firewalls are useless. The router that you have should offer a good degree of protection through its NAT, etc...Placing an Anti-Virus solution is a good idea. Before installing any software besides SP2 run the network wizard on both computers. This should solve the problem, but if they don't connect right away, trouble shooting will be easy from that point because both computers will be on the same page, and there will be a minimal of other software issues that could conflict. Good luck.

Ok, uninstalled SP2
Restarted
Uninstalled Firewall and Antivirus
Restarted
Installed Adapter Driver
Plugged it in.
Entered SSID numbers

Bam, good to go. Must have been a bad install on the first try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom