"Limited or No Connectivity"

Status
Not open for further replies.

soundgarden

In Runtime
At my old apartment i connected to a cable modem using a USB connection. The modem itself was connected to a wireless router. The setup worked fine.

I moved and now I have basically the same setup, a cable modem connected to wireless ethernet. I connect to the modem using USB. The computer is obviously able to detect the modem but im getting the message 'limited or no connectivity'

I tried resetting the modem but that didnt work. The Internet works fine for my roommates. The cable modem is VoIP. Does that effect it ???

What can I do to fix this?

Usually modems can only do one or the other. It will usually either work with Ethernet OR it will work with USB. May I ask what kind of modem you're using? I'm using a LinkSys BEFCMU10, and I'm pretty sure it only supports one at a time. The modem you used to have must've had the unusual ability to use both at the same time. I recommend that you use Ethernet instead of USB, just get an Ethernet cord and plug into the wireless router (if it doesn't have extra Ethernet ports on the back, then it's not a router, it's an Access Point). If you're not using a Router, then that may be the issue, as you need a router to provide IP addresses to connected devices (most home routers work as DCHP servers as well).

At my old apartment i connected to a cable modem using a USB connection. The modem itself was connected to a wireless router. The setup worked fine.

I moved and now I have basically the same setup, a cable modem connected to wireless ethernet. I connect to the modem using USB. The computer is obviously able to detect the modem but im getting the message 'limited or no connectivity'

I tried resetting the modem but that didnt work. The Internet works fine for my roommates. The cable modem is VoIP. Does that effect it ???

What can I do to fix this?

First off, You say the modem is connected to wireless ethernet, that does not exist. So I have some questions.

1) This "VoiP modem", is it an EMTA? That is a modem that functions both as a VoiP modem, and an internet modem. If so is it motorola/arris/rca or what?
2) What ISP?
3) Is this a new modem? AKA swapped from the one you had before.
4) Your "wireless ethernet", do you mean the modem is connected by USB to a wireless router?

If this is an EMTA connected to a wireless router, then get the Ethernet cord that came with the router, and connect the modem to the router with the ethernet cord. Pick up another ethernet cord, and use that to connect your wired computer to the router(if you have a wired computer).

Also, if it is an EMTA there should be a reset button in the back, hidden within a tiny hole. Unplug the power cord from the router, shut down the computers COMPLETELY, and hit that reset button in the back. 2 minutes later plug the router's power back into it, 1 minute later turn on the computers.

If I have your setup thought of properly, this should get you online.

1) This "VoiP modem", is it an EMTA? That is a modem that functions both as a VoiP modem, and an internet modem. If so is it motorola/arris/rca or what?
Yea, it is functioning as both. It is a Scientific America 2203C.
2) What ISP?
Cablevision (new york)
3) Is this a new modem? AKA swapped from the one you had before.
I moved into my new place and am using my roommates modem. I guess they have had this one for some time.

4) Your "wireless ethernet", do you mean the modem is connected by USB to a wireless router?
The modem is connected to a wireless router through an ethernet cable (sorry, thats what I meant by wireless ethernet). My roommates' computers are connected to teh wireless router using ethernet (dont know why they got wireless if they still use the cables). I myself want to connect directly from the modem to my computer using a USB connection since my network card is not working

hey, maybe you can help with that...device manager says the networks card is working fine but I dont see any lights blinking in the socket when i plug the ethernet wire in. Its not a card, it seems like the slot for the ethernet is soldered onto the motherboard.

CalcProgrammer,

It appears you are right. I unplugged the modem from teh router and used the USB connection for my computer. It worked fine. I tried plugging in the router back in but the internet connection will not open for the other computers. It seems that the modem can do ethernet or usb, not both simultaneously.

I guess i need to get a new card, unless you guys know what is wrong with the ethernet slot on my computer.

If you have no LED's on that when a cable is plugged into it and a device at the far end, either the cable is bad, or the NIC is bad. If a KNOWN working cable doesn't work, it is likely that the NIC is bad. Your fix would be to pick up a PCI NIC card, or a USB dongle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom