less than host stratum

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekÆsine

Fully Optimized
this one is pretty confusing. the MS help on time syching said maybe i should "unblocking network time protocol (NTP)". see attachment. does anyone know which port that is and if i'm using 2 routers, how?

they are both linksys befsr41. the wierd thing is the new router i got somhow imported all of my port forwarding settings from the older router so do i just set it on the first one?

internet<==router1<==router2<==both comps behind this have errors.

to mikesgroovin: empty your PM box man. its full :(

Attachments

• firefox.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 36
Well, hopefully this can help you out a little.

I know that the NTS (Network Time Service) stratum is a measure of accuracy. I believe that the lower the stratum, the greater the Time accuracy. Whatever port it is......probably can be found on Microsoft's site....you'll need to cascade them down to your machine keeping the time from the NTS. For example, If your first router (the one directly into the internet) is 192.168.1.1 and the second one is 192.168.1.5 then using 5555 as a port example.....You'll need to forward port 5555 from the first router (192.168.1.1) to 192.168.1.5 and then on the second router, forward it to your PC keeping the time (192.168.1.100) or whatever it is.

-Mike

Also, the NTS is put in place by the US government..so the port has to be below 50 or so......from memory I want to say it's 14 or 13.

-Mike

okay that is confusing, but i think i fully understand what to do now. mike what about if i just put the second router (router2 ip: 192.168.1.5) on the DMZ of the first router or what if i just open every port for the second router on the first one? also can you tell me what port this bloody NTS is? i cannot seem to find out anything with google or microsoft.

mikesgroovin said:
You'll need to forward port 5555 from the first router (192.168.1.1) to 192.168.1.5 and then on the second router, forward it to your PC keeping the time (192.168.1.100) or whatever it is.

I believe it's 13.....try that first.
For shits and giggles, put the 2nd router in the 1st's DMZ. After you get it working, then you can take it out if you want.

-Mike

oops i forgot to mention i wanted to use the second router as a switch only. i don't have 2 broadband connections. i ended up manually setting this which is working:

router1 192.168.1.1
router2 192.168.1.2
turned off DHCP on router2
plugged router2 into port1 from the uplink port.

the way it was setup before, the routing table got messed up and some machines had no internet. it started listing computers i didn't have and the names were chinese looking characters (not actually chinese)

i only need to setup ports on router1 since there is no DHCP on router2. i opened port 13, still get same error. can you give me the link to the page where it talks about which port to open mike? thanks for your help so far :)

I'll have to find some sites. I read this in a book somewhere a while ago. Have you tried doing a google search for NTS ports?

-Mike

yes i googled and use the microsoft site which both turned up garbage info back. mike i have a hunch this is not even port related. i am positive this used to work and i was always behind a linksys router. i even tried machines that are connected to router1 and they have the same errors.

my hunch is something changed on the server end....maybe some kind of OS detection software....because i have the "special edition" of XP pro RC1.....:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom