Laptops cant access router

Status
Not open for further replies.

DONNY11

Solid State Member
Hi!

I would like to be able to browse the internet on my laptop using wifi, since i have a wifi enabled router. There is already another desktop in the house sharing my internet connection via Ethernet.

However, If i switch the wifi on any of the laptops in the House , they report " Connected to TP-Link but with limited or no connectivity". Its funny because i can easily switch to wifi on my iphone and have access to the net.

A while ago i was able to browse the Web on my laptop via wifi but i can no longer do so.

My desktop is running Windows XP, which is the computer the modem/router connected to. Other Main PC shares this connection via ethernet, there are two laptops in the house that have limited or no connectivity, and they both run Vista.

Please let me know how i can troubleshoot this.

Thanks!

go into the run console (windows key and r)
type 'ipconfig /release' without the quotes and press enter
then type 'ipconfig/ renew' and press enter again
if you are successfully assigned an ip address, that means the link between your laptop and the router is working, and we can move onto other issues.
btw, if you get an ip address of 169.x.x.x the connection failed.

"type 'ipconfig /release' without the quotes and press enter"

I GET THIS

"Windows IP Configuration-This operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation"

aah, it sounds like the connection might be disabled. Go to 'view network connections' and see if the little connection icon is greyed out. If it is, right click on it and select 'enable'.

hmmm, if you get limited connectivity tho, it can't be disabled...check anyway.

If it was disabled the message would be saying something like no media connected. It sounds to me like it has been configured with a static IP which may be conflicting or otherwise misconfigured.
If your machine is configured with a static IP check the settings on your DHCP server (probably the DHCP area on your router but you know your setup better than I do) to make sure your static IP is out of the range being automatically assigned.

what does it say if you just do ipconfig? Is your wireless turned on on your laptop?

Gives me The Config for my router. SO no problem there.

"S0ULphIRE-aah, it sounds like the connection might be disabled. Go to 'view network connections' and see if the little connection icon is greyed out. If it is, right click on it and select 'enable'.

hmmm, if you get limited connectivity tho, it can't be disabled...check anyway"

The Connection is enabled. If i switch the wifi switch on and try to connect to " connect to a network" which is my router, it just says " COnnection taking longer than expected", then eventually it will say "Connection unsuccessful- This computer is connected to TP-LInk But does not have access to the internet"

kmote- What exactly am i looking to do in the DHCP area? These are my settings:

DHCP Settings
DHCP Server: Enabled
Start IP Address: 192.168.1.100
End IP Address: 192.168.1.199
Address Lease Time: 120 minutes (1~2880 minutes, the default value is 120)
Default Gateway: 0.0.0.0(optional)
Default Domain: 0.0.0.0(optional)
Primary DNS: 0.0.0.0(optional)
Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0(optional)

Thanks for the replies!

OK so how is the machine configured? Is it ok with a dynamic IP or do you need static? I'll assume that a dynamicly assigned IP is fine, in which case check that the settings on the interface are correct (ipconfig /all) should tell you if you are using DHCP or not and if you are not then check the IP is not in the range 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.199

Ok. It says

DHCP enabled...................No

How would i enable it? Or do I need to?

what should the range be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom