Laptop won't connect to my home network

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShannonRyu

Baseband Member
I added a new wireless router to my modem and desktop computer, then got may laptop to connect and everything was fine, but it was unsecured. I went to the routers settings from my desktop and made it secure and added a password, then added the password to my laptop when it said it was a secure network, and then it connected to the network, but not the INTERNET anymore. It says 'Access: Local only', is that the problem and how do I fix it?

I added a new wireless router to my modem and desktop computer, then got may laptop to connect and everything was fine, but it was unsecured. I went to the routers settings from my desktop and made it secure and added a password, then added the password to my laptop when it said it was a secure network, and then it connected to the network, but not the INTERNET anymore. It says 'Access: Local only', is that the problem and how do I fix it?

Just for the sake of asking, what make/model is the device? Are you able to connect to the internet via the desktop anymore either? If not, then try rebooting everything in order: Unplug the router and the modem. Turn off your computer. Wait about 15-20 seconds and then plug your modem back in. After about 30 seconds, plug your router back in. Then turn your computer and laptops back on. I know that this seems a little trivial, but it should be the first thing you try based on a problem like this.

Thanks, once I noticed the problem with the laptop, I did find I was experiencing it with the desktop too, so I rebooted the modem, router and desktop, which fixed the problem with the desktop, but the laptop still only connects to the network but not the internet.

I know it has to be as simple as the settings, I just know very little about this stuff. It is actually for my father. This is the router in question:
TRENDnet TEW-432BRP Wireless G Broadband Router - TEW-432BRP - Buy.com

look at the bottom of your router, there should be a sticker with it's IP address. press the windows key and 'r' at the same time. type 'cmd', then type 'ipconfig'
You should see a field labeled 'Default Gateway:.........' and the IP it's using for that gateway. Make sure it matches the IP address on the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom