Laptop will not recognize wired ethernet connection, but can use wireless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luminareo

Solid State Member
Recently I decided to spend the $8 on an ethernet cable, and wire internet connection to improve speed online. My router is a 2Wire 2700, and it's been working well for about four years. Unfortunately, my laptop (Lenovo Ideapad Y560) doesn't seem to recognize the wired connection, and instead just runs on the wireless signal. I repeat; the router is set up properly, and I can connect to the internet. The problem is that I am forced to use the less efficient wireless signal instead of the ethernet connection.

The lights on the plug-in turn on when I put the cable into the port, so I don't think it's a hardware problem. My drivers seem to be updated. I didn't see any required download on the 2wire website, or anything referencing this problem in the user manual. The cable also works fine on my Xbox, so it's not defective. I expected the computer to run on the ethernet connection automatically, but nothing happened when I plugged it in. When I turn of the wireless adapter, the computer can't connect to the internet at all. Surely it must be something simple that I'm missing. Could someone help point me in the right direction, or at least explain the problem?

Thank you very much for any helpful responses!

I'm also having some other computer issues; would you mind taking a look?
Converting female SPDIF to a headphone jack? Sound output via HDMI?
My computer can't use the full area of my monitor through HDMI... will VGA be better?

Turn off wifi first then plug the wired connection in. See if that helps. If not as azz said go to device manager and make sure your wired connection is enabled and installed. If they are download the latest driver from the manf. and reinstall.

Ah...
Device manager is telling me that I have no drivers installed for my ethernet controller at all. That's strange; isn't it normal for laptops to come pre-installed with that sort of thing?

No matter. Now, I just need to find where to get the drivers. Unfortunately, drivers are the weakest point in my rather weak techie repertoire, so any help would be appreciated. Windows can't find any automatically.

Get the manufacturer of the laptop, go to their website, find your model of laptop and download / install the network drivers.

Problem solved!
I downloaded the drivers, but I wasn't sure how to install them. I saved the downloads to my "downloads" folders, and then ran the programs they contained, but nothing happened. I'm pretty shaky on "drivers".
But I was able to talk to someone from Lenovo. We discovered that while I had no driver for my ethernet connection, I still needed to uninstall the item that showed me that information. Then, we installed the new drivers that I got from the website.

Thank you very much for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom