Laptop not connecting to Ethernet Broadband

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for trying, hopefully I'll get it working soon. Just seems odd, I've even used it at school using the same method of conecting, it just doesn't want to connect to my high speed cable at home. All the settings match exactly the computer that works, and it just doesn't seem to want to. Frustrating...

I just fixed a computer with exact problem yesterday. It was some problems with the router setting(DHCP server was disabled, Mac address filtering was on). So you will need to log into your router and do some configuration.

1) Make sure the DHCP server is enabled
2) Make sure you don't have the Mac address filtering on

Your computer is not able to get an ip from the router that's why it get stuck for a long time during the ip renewing process. And when it does return something, it is not the correct IP or network address.

I'll try it in the morning, but I'm not sure it will work. Even when I tried connecting using a cable straight from my cable modem, it wouldn't connect, so I think it's a problem with the computer. Maybe I missed something stupid though. I'll have to look into it. Anyone know common IP's to use to get into your router settings? I can
t remember how I used to get into them, duh me.

Hmm... I'm pretty posotive it's not a problem with the router. Everything set up fine on it, and it still won't connect when I don't use the router.

In CMDPrompt when I use ipconfig /all it says at the botton something about Media State...............: Media Disconnected

Another idea is in the ipconfig again where it has the "Windows IP Configuration"
It has IP Routing and WINS Proxy both disabled, I think it might have something to do with IP routing, anyone know how to enable it?

I'm running out of ideas here, this whole problem is just stupid and weird, oh well, appreciate the help. Any more idea gladly accepted.

You try connectting directly to the cable modem with "automaticly obtain an ip address" then unplug the modem and plug it back in. Maybe your NIC card might be faulty or the cable that you are using.

hmm maybe try uninstall the network card driver and reinstall it or take your laptop to another site and see if it works.

1) Card's not faulty cuz I've used it on a T3 connection at school.
2) Cable's not faulty cuz it works fine on my other computer.
3) Reinstalling the driver didn't do a thing.
4) No sites will load.
5) Guah! Stupid computers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom