laptop caps at 54.0 mbps

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangeena

Beta member
I've had a dell precision M6300 for a while now and have had great luck connecting at hot spots at various high speeds.

i just got a Tenda W307R wifi router. I've tried various configuration and security settings but my laptop will not connect faster than 54.0. (although i do get great reception.)

The only other thing i connect to wifi with is my wii. It seems to be fast enough for the system to work, although I can't tell what speed it is actually receiving.

Any ideas?

thanks in advance.

If youhave a G router and a G card, that's the max bandwidth you're going to able to achieve. Not very likely that you're going to be able to achieve that max bandwidth, anyway.

the router box says its 'Wireless-N'.

On the laptop, i see it's an Intel 3945ABG card...but i'm not sure if that means its G, N or whatever.

Anyway, i'm planning on getting a new laptop in the near future. It sounds like I should be getting a wireless-n card to be fully compatible?

thanks

You have a wireless G card in your laptop from what it sounds like. N is backwards compatible with G so you don't ahve to worry about compatibility. If you want the full extended range and higher bandwidth of N, then yes you would want to get an N card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom