lap top connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbp

Baseband Member
Hello again,
finally got my ethernet cable and laptop is up and running. However on my desktop an annoying box comes up initially on booting up. As follows; 'Limited or no connectivity. The network did not assign network address to the computer'. Which computer? Laptop or desktop? I add that this is an irritation but does not appear to affect the performance of either. Just something I need to know.
Thanks Barb

The computer it is talking about is the desktop. What are the IPs of the two machines?
Virgin media? Is that what you mean? The 'wireless connection' window comes up on the laptop but again no probs with the functionality of either. Just need to know
Thanks Barb

When you see "network address" on the message, what it means is Internet Protocol (IP) address, this is not the same as Internet Service Provider (ISP) which is Virgin Media. I'm surprised you are able to access the network on your desktop if you are getting this message.
To find the IP addresses of the machines, go to control panel -> network connections, double click the adaptor you are using and select the support tab.

When you see "network address" on the message, what it means is Internet Protocol (IP) address, this is not the same as Internet Service Provider (ISP) which is Virgin Media. I'm surprised you are able to access the network on your desktop if you are getting this message.
To find the IP addresses of the machines, go to control panel -> network connections, double click the adaptor you are using and select the support tab.

Hello again, Hopefully shall include printout of the screen. Network connections page. Three icons as follows 'No 1Internet gatewayConnected - Internet connection. No 2 LAC, connected via compatible fast ethernet. LAC2, Limited or no connectivity , Motorola surf Board SB5100' ????
Loathe to touch anything until I am sure of what's going on. Here goes! Now to attachments! Failed! Can't reduce enough to suit. so hope the above is clear enough.
As said, everything working well, my husband at this moment downstairs on laptop finding his way around the net and I upstairs writing to you.
Still very puzzled
Barb

Hello again, Hopefully shall include printout of the screen. Network connections page. Three icons as follows 'No 1Internet gatewayConnected - Internet connection. No 2 LAC, connected via compatible fast ethernet. LAC2, Limited or no connectivity , Motorola surf Board SB5100' ????
Loathe to touch anything until I am sure of what's going on. Here goes! Now to attachments! Failed! Can't reduce enough to suit. so hope the above is clear enough.
As said, everything working well, my husband at this moment downstairs on laptop finding his way around the net and I upstairs writing to you.
Still very puzzled
Barb

Further to my previous mails. Now think that LAN2 is a connection we used at a friends at Christmas. It is understandably weak because they live 50 yards away. someone suggests that I can remove LAN2 but I'm loathe to do so since I fear I may 'mess up the rest'
Barb

You just have both adapters attempting to connect at the same time. No biggie, you'll just have to deal with the balloon popup when you 'connect'.

you can disable the wireless (if you're connected via ethernet cable) or vice versa.

windows live.com

Hello, back to our new laptop which is windows 7. OE has now become windows live and I'm not receiving replies on the system. To clarify - I have sent for hotel details abroad. Box comes up, I send, no error messages but so far no replies either. Have others experienced the same? Contacted my ISP and they advise patience, new system and all that. I didn't think they sounded too sure.
Barb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom