Lanning help

Status
Not open for further replies.

StriderZ

Solid State Member
Hi,

I'm having some issues with lanning on my other computer.
There was a massive storm and i had a blackout, and all of a sudden the lan stopped working.
I brought a new network card for the Internet host, and a new crossover cable to make sure.
but it still doesn't work?

here's some network connections:
lan 13: Marvell yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI gigabit ethernet controller < This was my first network card, i believed it blew up because of the storm.
lan 12: Realtek RTL8139/810x Family fast ethernet NIC < i bought this, and i also got it on my other computer.

How is this host connected to the Internet? Do you have a home router, make and model? Are there any other PC on the network and are they functioning correctly? What type of Internet connection do you have?

My connection is cable/broadband and is connected by a surfboard cable modem, i don't have a router, and there is no other PCs connected

On my cable modem everything lights up.
On my network card everything lights up(2 lights only)
On my other computer's netword card everything lights up(2 lights only)

Crossover cable for the modem -> PC shouldn't be needed? Should just use a CAT 5/5E/6 cable? Can you hear the modem running?

Crossover cable is not what you need just as Boys mentioned. If you have the correct drivers installed for the card it should connect. If not, you should contact your ISP, they may have to reset the modem.

Isn't the crossover cable needed for my ethernet network card?

No. A crossover cable is used to connect a hub to a switch or two hubs or two switches, etc. Newer switches don't require one though. For connecting your NIC to the modem just use a straight through cable. Any CAT-5 cable you get at Wal-Mart or whatever will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom