LAN troubleshoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

estro_armonico

Beta member
Hello. I'm having trouble with my LAN connection and it's really driving me nuts. I have two computers at home, a desktop and a laptop. the laptop uses wireless connection to connect to the internet which everytime when i connect, it displays a normal connected wireless network but the LAN connection is not responding. There are packets sent but No packets are being received. I can't browse the internet nor sign in to any messenger services.

When i run ipconfig, it says

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection:
Media State ............ : Media disconnected

while the wireless network connection works perfectly fine.

I've tried turning off the d-link modem then on again, but i would have to wait for like, 30 minutes before the connection receives packets and works normally again.

Please help.

the firewall is off and erm, unfortunately i'm not able to get any other Ethernet cables right now :(

Now, to get online, i still have to WAIT like mad for the wireless connection(for my laptop) or the LAN(if i use desktop pc) to receive packets, then only i'd be able to access the net. and there's another problem, i can't UPload ANYTHING to the net nor send anything thru messenger or attach files to my email messages. How come? It is the router's problem, isn't it? or is the whole network problematic? HELp! :(

estro_armonico said:
the firewall is off and erm, unfortunately i'm not able to get any other Ethernet cables right now :(

Now, to get online, i still have to WAIT like mad for the wireless connection(for my laptop) or the LAN(if i use desktop pc) to receive packets, then only i'd be able to access the net. and there's another problem, i can't UPload ANYTHING to the net nor send anything thru messenger or attach files to my email messages. How come? It is the router's problem, isn't it? or is the whole network problematic? HELp! :(

Your laptop probably previously had a different NIC in it, and now it's looking for that old internet connection and can't find it. Try IPCONFIG /ALL and see what that says.
Go into your network control panel and delete the old network that it says is not working, then try and run IPCONFIG again.

As far as speed goes, do you know what speeds your network is running? Wireless can be slow sometimes unfortunately. How far away from the router is the computer your using? Are you on another floor or in another room?

A 2' section of CAT5 cable costs under $10.00, it would help you start the process of elimination a lot quicker.

Thanks for replying :)

IPCONFIG/ALL says :

Host Name
Primary Dns
Node Type .............. : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled .. : No
WINS Proxy Enabled : No

>>

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection

Media State ...... : Media Disconnected
Description ....... : Realtek RTL8139....

Ethernet NIC
Physical Address .. : 00-11-2F-A6-0B-86

I'm in the same room with the host desktop computer and the router. And the wireless speed is running at 48.0 Mbps like it always does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom