LAN problems! b/w 2 comps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seven

Solid State Member
Me and my friend are trying to make a LAN b/w 2 comps (for first time). Both are running Windows XP SP2.

Now we want to LAN the comps basically to share files. When we try to connect it now, the connection shows fine in his comp but my comp shows limited or no connectivity.We cant see ourselves on the networl. we tried sharing folders and drives but nothing happens. We have properly run the network wizard and set up the connections on both connections...
We are trying to LAN via ETH cables!

Any ideas?

Use a cross over cable, assign computer 1 ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0, computer 2 ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0.

Or buy a switch, use straight through cables.

I found out that my DSL modem can actually work as a hub (or is it called router?) for our LAN. And right now we are connected. We can ping each other! (He is 192.168.1.2 and I am at 192.168.1.3 and the defaut gateway is at 192.168.1.1) But we cant see ourselves on the network. As in when I run \\hiscompname ..its now happening. Nor can we see each other when we look at "show comps on this network".

Seven said:
I found out that my DSL modem can actually work as a hub (or is it called router?) for our LAN. And right now we are connected. We can ping each other! (He is 192.168.1.2 and I am at 192.168.1.3 and the defaut gateway is at 192.168.1.1) But we cant see ourselves on the network. As in when I run \\hiscompname ..its now happening. Nor can we see each other when we look at "show comps on this network".

If you can ping the IP address of each other, that's a good sign that you have some sort of connectivity going on.

If you can ping the computers by their name, you can verify that NetBIOS IP to name resolution is working properly, which indicates NetBIOS is working and enable.

The problem might just be that you're not in the same workgroup. Check Control Panel/System-Computer name

Make sure you also have a shared folder already shared or else it won't show up in “My Network Place”. Check permission on the folder also, if this is a XP Pro or 2000 Pro machine, check the local security policy in Control Panel/Administrative Tools.

XP Home, requires you to boot into safe mode to see the security tab of a folder, or installed the Security Management from Microsoft so you don't have to keep going into safemode.

Also, make sure to disable any firewall running temporally until the problem is fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom