LAN problem? or ISP problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mo2112361

Beta member
I'm stumped, so I'll try to summarize this best I can. My neighbor has the same ISP as me and is having problems connecting. She had a wireless router connected to her computer but took it off because she didn't need it anymore. When she connected her computer to the ISP modem, the LAN light would not come on. But if we connected the router, the LAN light would come on, but still no internet. I decided to take my laptop down to her house and give it a try. We have the same operating systems (XP) and the same ISP. My laptop at home is connected to the ISP modem directly and works just fine. When I connected to her modem, the LAN light on the modem wouldn't work. I don't understand why the LAN light doesn't work unless connected to a router. We shouldn't need to connect to the router. Anyway, after trying all the usual stuff (ipconfig /renew, etc.), our ISP said to look at our local area connection, which showed a cable was unplugged on her computer, so I tried mine, and had the same thing. They contend it is a computer problem, but I still don't understand why my laptop works fine at my house, but not at hers. It seems to me that something between the modem and our computers is killing the connection, but I can't figure out what it is. I've tried several new cables, but have the same problem. Can anyone enlighten me PLEASE???

Im thinking her modem isnt configured to work properly on it's own. Is this a DSL connection? What ISP is it?

Had you tried taking your cable from your working router? Also are they the same make model router wise?

Hello,

Was the modem reset after the router was removed? It could be that the modem is still trying to operate as if the router was still there. Unplug it for 30 seconds and then plug it back in. See if it conencts then.

Cheers,
Mak

see if you can get an IP address. If not as you have mentioned LED doesn't come up, in that case is it possible for you to access the modem using web interface?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom