lan party networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

20mm

In Runtime
hey guys i just got a 10/100 lynksis 8 port switch...is this okay for a small lan party? how do i get it set up? i'm using cable and i have a router. is 10/100 okay?

10/100 is more than adequate.

Ho many ports does your Router have? Either way what you should do is plug your Cable Modem and Switch into your router then your nodes into either the switch or router... I'd distribute them so you don't over work the switch.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think the switch would have to connected the the "uplink" port on the router. After that all should go well.

I'm not too sure about your situation, but when I had a small LAN party at home I just used an 8 port hub with standard Cat5 RJ45s. I'm pretty sure that's all you need... where you wire them to I'm not sure.

I don't beleive you need the uplink port when wiring a switch to a router, only when you're going switch to switch.

20mm this is perfect for small lans. I have the same switch and I dont have problems. Tell your friends to bring their own ethernet cords no reason for you to pay for them. It really dosnt matter what type of cable. 100mb is way more then enough for gaming. (I have a 3Mb connection and I use barley any of it when im playing Call of Duty in a 50 ping server) The only time that the 100 Mb will be critical is when your sharing your games (that every ine owns ;-) ) at the lan.

Make that if you use the uplink port that 1.)the cable is a crossover and plugged into a non-uplink on the other end and 2.) that nothing is plugged into the port next to any uplink you are using (the last port and uplink are typically shared). Also, at the LAN parties I have been to, we have consistently had problems with windows filesharing and DHCP (automatic IP). To deal with the file sharing issue, have one comp running an FTP server (there are many free ones on the net, try SourceForge). And don't bother with DHCP, just give everyone an ip when they come in (make sure to write them down :) ).

won't their computers all be using the same ip adress? how do i give them an ip adress? is there some place on the web that'll tell me all of this stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom