LAN connection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kspec

Beta member
ok, i'm having problems with my connection at school. I built a new computer, and it connected to our network fine for about a month. then the cannot be displayed page kept popping up. so i tried to repair the connection and it failed saying renew IP address failed. i told the network administrator of this a nd she told me that there was nothing wrong with their conection, it was my computer. so i replaced the network card that i knew worked. no difference. she also said that there could be spyware stopping my internet access, well i have adaware and it hasn't picked anything up and neither has my antivirus. So my question is, how do i fix this or is it the administrator that is blocking me and giving me a line of crap about it being my computer's fault. sorry for such long message. thanks for any help.

Have you tried checking the computer's TCP/IP protocol settings? what about doing an IPCONFIG/All in a dos window? Does your NIC have link lights? What about the NIC cable itself? Are you sure it's still good?

Doublecheck your DNS settings.

Most of the time when you have a good internet connection and you STILL get the "Page Not Found" message it is DNS related.

i'm not very knowledgeable with this stuff, how do i check my dns? and what should it be? i checked the cord, it's fine. tried a different cord too with the same result. thanks for the help

Start -> Run -> cmd (Open your command prompt)
>ipconfig /all

write down the 2 DNS servers, check with your school that those are the proper servers. If they are not, make sure that in your TCP/IP settings (within network connection properties), you are set to receive DNS servers automatically.

Another thing that you may want to check is whether it is your internet connection or just Internet explorer. Try to ping a website via the command prompt. (>ping www.google.com). If it resolves, you know that your connection is good. Otherwise, it's bad.

Check your hosts file.
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
there are two of them
lmhosts
hosts
open them in notepad and see if there are any odd entries which may be overriding your DNS server.

Finally, you may want to go to a friend's computer and get his connection info
>ipconfig /all

enter that in manually, but change the ip to an IP within the subnet that has not been assigned by your campus's DHCP server. You can find an open IP by using an IP scanner on a working computer and scanning the network. you'll get a bunch of IP's. The first three groups of numbers will be the same on your machine. The last group of numbers will have to be between 2-254 and be a number not already assigned (which you can determine using the IP scanner).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom