LAN card work only with router

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigworld005

Beta member
Hi,All,
DELL Latitude CPX Laptop with XP Pro + SP2 .

I try to use WIRED internet at home, since the old CPX has no netwrok card, I use a USB LAN adaptor. when I use a CAT5 cable connect the adaptor to my cable modem, the computer keeps trying to acquire IP address, and failed finally,which shows it has limited or no connection(the yellow triangel shows up).

however, when I put my router in the middle, it work. the whole process is :

jack in the wall--> cable modem-->router-->usb adaptor--> laptop.

but if take the router out, hook the adaptor directly to the modem, it fails.

to be clear, my router is Belkin wirless router but it is also a switch ( has 4 ports back). I plug the CAT5 cable to any of 4 and it works.

another thing is that I also have a desktop which has a LAN card inside: whenever, I hook the desktop up to router or the cable modem, it works fine. no problem.

so anyone could tell me what is going on?

by the way, I run a "ipconfig/all" with the LAN adaptor hooked to the Modem. and the results is uploade to my yahoo album:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bigworld005/detail?.dir=7210&.dnm=ba6e.jpg&.src=ph

regards,
T

I figure out

Hi, all,
I finally figure out the probelm. it looks like the cable modem has some sort of memory. if you plug the router in, the router always work. but if you switch to USB adaptor, you need to turn off the modem first, then turn it back on with the usb adaptor plugged in. now everything is fine.

take care,
T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom