lan card configuration in linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

simple

In Runtime
here is my problem.
i have a local network for which i have taken a cable internet connection. the incoming packets first are directed through a firewall and then forwarded to the clients. however i need to limit the download usage of each client and for that i need to monitor not only the firewall's packets but all the packets on the network. i presume that for this i will need to use the lan card in promiscuous mode . also the entire system runs on linux and thus the clients are clients on a linux server. thus i need to configure the lan card in linux.
i need this quite urgently and so i really would appreciate all the help i can get. thanks.

If you just need to put a bandwidth cap on each device you can set the MTU on each PC. Do a google search (ifconfig, MTU, yadda yadda yadda) to find the exact settings you'll want.

thanks for replying but i need to know how to configure a lan card in promiscuous mode , and sorry that i did not mention it previously but i need to monitor the real time traffic for my network. i did do a lot of googling and didn't come up with anything satisfying and thats why i wanted good suggestions from the forum users. like always any help is sincerely appreciated.

The way I would implement that would be to set up a more robust router. (pfSense, mOnOwall, etc.) From there you can monitor realtime traffic in and out of your network.

With pfSense you can run different services (such as ntop) which can break down by host, protocol, etc. Ntop isn't realtime but can be very helpful nonetheless.

On the client-side you could run an app like EtherApe to see realtime network usage between hosts.

Ntop isn't realtime but can be very helpful nonetheless.
i NEED to monitor and also restrict the traffic in REAL-TIME only. so anything else will not do simply because it is my requirement. Also i still need help on configuring a lan card in promiscuous mode. thanks for replying and hope that i may get some more help here!!!

i am still stuck up with my problem. can anyone please give me atleast hints or tips. i seriously need it badly. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom