keep disconnecting from LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

icewizard2k4

Baseband Member
hi everyone, for some reason my pc keeps disconnecting itself from my home LAN.

lan and shared internet connections will remain visible in the sys tray and say "connected", yet there will be zero traffic. if i try opening a web page i just get blank pages and if i try and view or change network properties it does nothing for ages and then i get a not responding error.

im using the latest drivers for my on board nic.

my machine is xp pro sp2 and im networking with 3 other machines running xp pro sp1 through a d-link switch. shared internet is through a broadband modem connected to one of the other machines.

first things first, run a spyware/virus scan.

Next, try powercycling the modem and switch. Do this to both of them before trying to connect to the inet again.

Then, you could try switching the cable to a different port on the switch.

Does any other pc have any problems? You can try swapping hardwsre from these other pcs.

try to release & renew your ip address to regain network connectivity.. I have a d-link router and a d-link wirless card on one of my computers and I have the same problem, but mine seems to happen after days of connectivity... like its not auto renewing the ip address.

from the command prompt type:

ipconfig /release_all
ipconfig /renew_all

make sure your pc is not set to shutdown the device to save power,, this almost drove me nuts @ work until I checked it and *poof* cured my problem,,,, good luck

nothing seems to be working, Roshi yes i have a firewall its the standard sp2 version. i've tried changing ports and powercycling.

the device does not have power management enabled and has the latest drivers.

no other machines on the network have this problem and its also an ONBOARD nic which cannot be removed.

the ipconfig release command works fine but upon renew i get a dchp error and i still need to restart the machine.

about 10 minutes ago i tried logging off and back in again and that restored the network... still intolerable...

any apps that can force a connection to remain open?

thx

no apps available like that.
also have you tried disableing the firewall... see if that helps.

Some times this happened when the cable is bend somewhere.
From bending - occur air inside the wire and can't receive and transmit correctly.

Run new cable same distance with out removing the old one.
And see if work all right the mean this is the problem.

I had same problem in the office - eaten cables from mousses (not the PC one, real).
The small bustards didn't cut the cable just remove the isolation.
Then the PCs work around 15 to 30 min and disconnect then connect again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom