Just a question... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Computer Networking and Internet Hardware
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 09:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Just a question...

So I'm reading my Year 1 book for networking (got resit exam tomorrow) and reading about logical and physical topologies. Just asking, how much importance is this to real life? Can you tell what exact topology a network is using by using 1 PC connected to it? It kind of confuses me, stating that a logical topology can be used on a different physical 1 and so on...really don't get it lol.

So how do you state what topology you're using, if you got a network at home?

Blowing of some steam from studying and just thought I'd ask, if anyone knows .

Old 02-18-2010, 10:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Just a question...

Logical topology just means how the network is arranged. What the network "looks" like. How the devices communicate.

With a Hub and Spoke logical topology, it is like a bike wheel. You have the hub or center, which can be a real hub; switch; router; etc..., with devices all connected to it.

In the example I listed above, in the physical topology they could all be in one rack in a wiring closet.

I hope that helps somewhat. If you have more questions, please ask.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom8151 View Post
Logical topology just means how the network is arranged. What the network "looks" like. How the devices communicate.

With a Hub and Spoke logical topology, it is like a bike wheel. You have the hub or center, which can be a real hub; switch; router; etc..., with devices all connected to it.

In the example I listed above, in the physical topology they could all be in one rack in a wiring closet.

I hope that helps somewhat. If you have more questions, please ask.
Yeah it helps and thanks . Just wanna know though, is this like have any heavy relating to real life? Like if you go into a business, can you tell what topology is used just by using 1 PC or you have to go through all the equipment relating to it? Also in the IT department, is this stuff necessary or can you just set up a network without thinking about a specific topology?
Old 02-19-2010, 02:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelm3103 View Post
Yeah it helps and thanks . Just wanna know though, is this like have any heavy relating to real life? Like if you go into a business, can you tell what topology is used just by using 1 PC or you have to go through all the equipment relating to it? Also in the IT department, is this stuff necessary or can you just set up a network without thinking about a specific topology?
Hmmm. Not 100% on the first question, however I would say not really. You would more than likely have to look at their equipment to know what kind of set up they are using.

For the most part, companies are all hybrid topologies now. No Token Ring, or bus topologies. If you have to set up a entirely new network for a company, you would not use Token Ring or bus. It would be just a standard mesh and star hybrid topology. You have all your switches and router connected like a mesh. All your end devices would connect in a star pattern to the switches. Like in this horrendous Paint image I just made.

Ethernet has really made networks easier to set up on the physical level. So, to finally answer your second question. You do have to think a lot about the layout as per ease of access, efficiency, etc..., however, you will just about always use some sort of mesh/star topology these days.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Ah now it makes sense to me , thanks for the replies Venom, it was much appreciated .
Old 02-19-2010, 10:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

No problem. I am glad to be able to put some of me education to use.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Haha, well yeah it's for good use . Loving your diagram also, it makes stuff really simple lol.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelm3103 View Post
Haha, well yeah it's for good use . Loving your diagram also, it makes stuff really simple lol.
Hahaha. Thank you. I am currently in networking as well. Doing the Cisco route, so networking hardware and topologies are my thing.