Just bought a notebook with a wireless card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandy

Solid State Member
Hi, I just got a dell notebook with a wireless card. I'm clueless to wireless access. I know I need to get a router and get hooked up to my cable at home. The question is:

Do I need to suscribe to T-mobile or some other provider in order to access a hot spot such as a coffee house or bookstore? I thought I could just access the internet at a hotspot if I had a wireless card? Should I have gotten a T-mobile card installed on my computer? I don't understand what I have to do to be able to get on the internet at a hot spot.

Could someone please explain to this computer virgin what I need to do? I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

It depends on which hotspot you go to. Cafes, bookstores, hotels..etc all have different wi-fi providers. Like...boingo, t-mobile...

You need to find out which provider your hotspot uses first, then sign up for it. Usually you can get information at your local hotspot about the provider. And yes, if you want to access a T-Mobile hotspot, you have to sign up and get an account.

Where I live, more and more cafes are providing free hotspots, but like I said, if it isn't free where you are, you need an account for that hotspot.

Check out...

http://www.wi-fihotspotlist.com/

for the list of hotspots as well as providers in your area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom